Jump to content


upgrading electric

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaygee



  • VIP Member
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

Have had a new smart meter fitted by Iberdola but now the electric keeps tripping off. I've found out that it is something in the smart meter which only allows you the KW that you are signed up for and assume we use over this , having an underbuild, and will need to 'officially' upgrade (think the builder just put something in the internal fuse box!).

I have been told that as our house was built before 2002 we will have to have a 'boletin' certificate for the electrical wiring etc and i'm suspecting that this will not be cheap!!

just wondering if anyone has already upgraded and what the process was.    We do not get out electric through Iberdolla but are signed up with another supplier.


#2 geoffllo



  • VIP Member
  • 954 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Urb La Marina

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

I had it done about 4 years ago, and in the last couple of months I've supervised the upgrading of a friend's holiday home.


What you are saying is correct, a smart meter trips when you draw more than your 'contracted' power


Many consumers have historically carried out their own upgrades by simply fitting a higher value main trip, but without informing Iberdrola. Often, people buy a house completely unaware that the previous owner had done this.


You are also correct in saying that you need a 'boletin', issued by someone who is accepted by Iberdrola as qualified to do so.


Before a 'boletin' can be issued, your house must comply with today's regulations. Often, for example, extra trips and extra cables are required for appliances that need their own dedicated trip (e.g. oven and other high wattage appliances). Often, all the sockets in the house need to be changed to the latest ones, with a built-in 'safety-gate'. Some properties even need a new main supply cable from the meter to the house. 


I could write more on the subject, but suffice it to say, you need a person more qualified than me to advise you and quote to sort the problem out.


It can be done, yes, but the price depends upon the age of the house and the standard of its original electrical installation.


Good luck!


#3 jimtaylor



  • VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mudamiento near Rafal

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

What you say about smart meters initiating the trip is something new to me, Geoff, but it sounds sensible.


I'm surprised that jaygee didn't already have a separate trip switch fitted, as they became mandatory some while ago. It was in fact that which forced me to get an upgrade from 2.2 to 5.5 KwH.


When we upgraded a few years ago, we had to be inspected by a leccy authorised to issue a Boletín. He wanted some wiring changes before he issued this.


The leccy who did the changes also fitted an ICP (trip switch) by the main consumer unit, set to trip if our new rated power is exceeded. Once Iberdrola had the boletín, they came along and fitted a seal to the ICP, and subsequent bills reflected the new power rating.


Then once they'd all buggered off and stopped annoying us, I made quite a lot of further changes to the house wiring, as neither the authorised leccy or his fitter did what I considered a good job.

  • geoffllo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users