• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

Sorry if this is an odd question, but I need to clarify something.

Relating to mobile phones, android pads, kindles and Huddls, amongst other things. Most of these come supplied with their own charger; phone chargers are available very cheaply and Kindle and Huddl chargers are available costing quite a bit more. Are they all different for their own particular application, or is it safe (or indeed, advisable) to charge any one of them with the first available charger which comes to hand?

(My Grandson has had a kid's 7" tablet, my daughter has had two Kindles and now has a Huddl. They have all failed in turn and my suspicion is that this may be due to the fact that my daughter has not been very careful about which charger she has used, tending to plug in the first one which will fit.)

Many thanks in advance

Steve

#2 Don

Don

red

• Validating
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

Steve can't give a positive answer but we have an extention lead with usb points and I fitted a UK electrical socket with usb charging points and use both with no problems on our phones,readers and pads,they may be a little slower charging but get there in the end.Also like yours our daughter when she is over will just grab the first lead and charger she can find to charge her phone with no problem.

#3 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

Chargers operate at 5.2v and either 1.35A or 2.00A.

So providing they are within this range there should be no problem.

John

Happyjackseven

#4 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info.

So - - it appears I was wrong! Ah well, back to the drawing board!

Steve

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

Steve, I agree with John. The only way I differ is that some chargers are rated as low as 500 milliamps.

In any case, any device by a reputable manufacturer, like Kindles and Hudl, should limit the charge to whatever they're rated at.

As a side issue, the USB in my car only seems to deliver 500 milliamps, not enough to keep up with a satnav app, so for charging the phone in the car I use a cig lighter to USB adaptor rated at 1 amp.

Our devices are either charged from a generic 230 volt to USB 1 amp adaptor or, if I want to work on them, from my computer's USB port which only seems to deliver 500 milliamps. I certainly wouldn't waste my money buying a device manufacturer's charger.

I'd guess your daughter is either just unlucky, or she's maltreating her devices, which I don't really believe, because that would imply she's been brung up wrong!

#6 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

You'll certainly find with tablets and laptops that may need a higher charger rating, to get the charge done in a reasonable time.

Laptops may well have a non-usb type charger connection for this reason. I charge our Kindles using several different types and it always seems to work ok.

A 4-way USB charger does not work for my Samsung tablet (which has a USB to Samsung special connector) so I stick to the Samsung charger for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users