3 replies to this topic

#1 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

HDR - better than 4K?

Much noise has been made of 4K - however....

Most people's viewing distances do not change - despite getting a new TV, your sofa is still the same distance away.

To offer an appreciable benefit - at the same (average) distance of 9-10 feet, you would need an 84 inch screen to spot the difference !

Even TV's of 60" benefits would not be easily apparent, unless sitting much further back

In the real world, 4K has no benefit in the average household, most people do not have the room for an 84" TV. A case of marketing a simplified manufacturing process.

So a fuss over nothing, with 8K also on the horizon.

Also and a biggie - data is based on perfect 20/20 vision, which most do not have !

What is said that makes a bigger difference, is HDR

HDR - Supported by satellite

The latest UHD technology, HDR, is not yet supported (by UK Sky).

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, which gives more detail in shadows and highlights with better colour depth.

It's a built-in feature on the cameras of many smartphones and is beginning to appear on ultra high definition TVs.

Netflix and Amazon stream some of their UHD libraries in HDR, and UHD Blu-Ray discs also support the format.

Many experts say UHD + HDR offers a greater leap forward in picture quality than the switch from HD to Ultra HD.

In summary - if looking for a new TV, you are likely to see more benefit from an HDR model in the near future than 4K - unless you have a very, very big screen.

First published http://www.facebook....visontechnology - TV News in Spain.

www.televisiontechnology.eu

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

#2 VictorS

VictorS

red

• VIP Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Like 3D was a big con , hardly anything available in 3D on TV .

Vic

#3 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 464 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:39 AM

Unfortunately none of the technology affects the programme quality.

I think if you are into home cinema with a BluRay player (or what comes next) you might appreciate it.

A bit like the tech race in computers - waste of money for the average home user but needed if you are into high speed graphics, huge databases etc.

#4 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Like 3D was a big con , hardly anything available in 3D on TV .

True. 3D fine for kids films / silly action films, but soon people realised that the majority of content, it was wasted on. Also too many reports of headaches over a period of time or similar.  Our new office smart TV, I only realised it was 3D after checking the manual, as they didn't even bother to mention on the main blurb. You can buy 3D glasses for the TV, but doesn't come with them. Quite telling.

Unfortunately none of the technology affects the programme quality.

I think if you are into home cinema with a BluRay player (or what comes next) you might appreciate it.

A bit like the tech race in computers - waste of money for the average home user but needed if you are into high speed graphics, huge databases etc.

Also true. 4K or 8K  Big brother and anything with 'Celebrity' in the title is mindless dross - seeing an extra pimple on someones face due to a bump in resolution I suspect will not improve my life too much....

I've said for a while - aside from the 'big screen' experience - good for films etc, in my mind the next most important thing is the audio - a decent surround sound system has more impact than 4K...and can bring a film into life (obviously not all films).

Edited by graham1, 20 August 2016 - 12:38 PM.

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users