Photo

Satellite, freesat and tv help needed (translation please)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TinaB

TinaB

green

• green
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

OK, so I currently have a Telecable system; I've been complaining about the quality of the reception since 2012, so now enough is enough and I need to get myself a new system.

Have been reading up on my freesat options but to be honest most of it could be written in Japanese as far as I am concerned. I can sort out your official paperwork but this.....?

I think I need a 1.4 dish which I can mount on the side of my house, but which satellite do I choose Prime Focus or Offset Focus? Which is the best box but most importantly who do I use to install it?

There are so many people offering systems and prices vary greatly, I do not want to make a huge mistake and pay out a fortune for a system that's not right for me.

So far I think I know I need:

• 1.4 dish
  • 4 way LNB (I have 4 TV sets)
  • Freesat boxes for each TV, two of which I want to have a hard drive recording facility
  • A ton of caballing

But that's as far as I've got.

Any help, advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I need a new supplier of phone and internet so recommendations there would also be appreciated.

Tina from La Marina

#2 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

You need to have a chat with Graham, who sponsors this forum. He's probably the most knowledgeable guy in this area on the subject of UK TV, and does an excellent job for a fair price..

I'm sure he will see your post, but meanwhile, I'll try to get a message to him to read what you've said.

Geoff.

#3 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

@TinaB - if you click on the advert for Freesat TV at the top of the page it will take you to a site with loads of info.

Probably a job best left to the experts!

#4 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Geoff - Tina, i'll do my best.....Answers highlighted in your text.

I think I need a 1.4 dish which I can mount on the side of my house, but which satellite do I choose Prime Focus or Offset Focus? Which is the best box but most importantly who do I use to install it?

They are different dish types and the prime focus is a better dish. Offset is an oval dish, Prime focus is round and at it's widest point is 12 cm wider. Prime focus is a thicker dish too, better in high wind and pulls a better signal overall. To confuse matters further there are also different manufacturers of dishes - so direct comparisons are not always as seems - many suppliers put in cheaper dishes and related equipment - example some use Inverto LNB's on the Prime focus dishes, others  the Invacom - the Invacom cost trade €20 more, so it is quite easy for suppliers to assemble cheaper equipment.  We have been installing locally (and legally) for around 10 years and have many recommendations from local forum users (happy to forward).

Prime Focus or Offset?

You mention about having 4 connections. Using the minimum size / spec dish - 1.4 offset (Tecatel is best of this type / size), these dishes work best optimised with a twin LNB, the Quad - 4 outputs do not work as well on this dish (as shadow more of dish) and you run the risk of weakening signal further, pushing it close to edge of reception, in some areas, too close. On this  basis if you want more than 3 connections / require a Quad LNB, we would recommend the 1.45 Prime focus, as is a better performing dish & the Quad (4) LNB (different type for PF dishes)) does not weaken signal on this dish. Will give better stability, though will add €200 to costs - in summary a quad LNB on a 1.4 offset may be pushing your luck signal wise in La Marina. We also have to be a little cautious in this location, as suffers microwave interference in parts, which does also cause issues - so always from a starting point, is better to put in good quality equipment for a good long term & stable system.

So far I think I know I need:

• 1.4 dish
  • 4 way LNB (I have 4 TV sets)
  • Freesat boxes for each TV, two of which I want to have a hard drive recording facility
  • A ton of caballing

Freesat boxes are UK only. Not available (officially) or have warranty in Spain. If you do find a supplier of them in Spain, you will pay a premium (as will be shipped from UK) and if there are issues they cannot be fixed locally.  Free to air receivers - are available locally (designed to work world wide) and have local / official 2 year warranty. Main difference is the Free to air receivers do not have the 7 day program guide  (now and next), though most record by a connected memory stick & have multiple timers. To summarise, if you want Freesat official, you may want to buy yourself, as will be cheaper than any local dealer (no real dealer!), but will not have support. 

You also mention 2 x Freesat / hard drive recording boxes & another 2 connections (4 TV's) this is actually 6 connections, not 4, as the hard drive twin tuner receivers require 2 connections each. This changes the requirements of the system, as once you go over 4 connections (to maintain any decent stability), you have a different LNB (quattro) and a further piece of equipment to re-assemble the signal into separate ports - Multiswitch, which most give from 8 outputs - this is usually how you would start constructing a community system! would add a further €200 or so to cost as this is commercial grade type equipment.

If you chose 4 x Free to air receiver (not Freesat) - still get the same channels (but without same program guide), to be cost effective if you select a single tuner model which records via USB (connect a memory stick or external hard drive) - these only require 1 cable run each (so you could do 4 off a Quad LNB) & if you record onto a memory stick / external hard drive - you can move from box to box. So for example you could record something in the bedroom connection, unplug the memory stick and watch in any other connected room - each box would record this way, so you have 4 compatible recording / playback boxes. Not quite the same thing, but a much more cost effective way of going about this, without needing additional expensive equipment.

Ultimately you can have everything you have asked for - but only if prepared to not be concerned over budget and are aware of potential warranty issues on the receivers. 

Graham

www.televisiontechnology.eu

Edited by graham1, 12 August 2016 - 09:12 AM.

• greytop and geoffllo like this

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

#5 TinaB

TinaB

green

• green
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Wow, thanks, that's a great response.

OK, so how much mas o menos for a 1.45 Prime Focus dish with a quad LNB and four boxes, at least one with USB/external hard drive recording facility? I live at the back of Dialprix, so the top of the Urb, hopefully this would help with the signal as I'm not in a ditch or anything.

Also is there any chance of getting subtitles on this sort of system? I only need it on one TV if at all possible (mother's TV is so loud I can hear it in my office!).

You can email me [email protected] or mobile 633205978 or in Expat Solutions office Monday to Friday, though not this Monday obviously, yeah!

#6 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Tina, just seen. Will email you quotation shortly.

Subtitles - yes. Only on satellite. Any major channels which carry them - BBC / ITV etc, as long as they are showing them, you can have on any TV / receiver.

Dishes point up at the satellites - so a few metres up or down location wise won't make any difference.

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

#7 Mal Johnson

Mal Johnson

red

• VIP Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hi guys just read your posts,(late as usual),  I had a new 1.4 dish installed by GOVE who are located in Quesada just behind Barclays bank more or less.  The guy has worked for SKY for 25 years and should be able to advise you on all your TV needs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users