• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

I'm posting this as it may be of interest to some of you.

As part of trying to rebuild my fitness and start some serious walking again, I decided initially to get a pedometer type app so I knew how far I'd walked and at what speed. Then I decided that it would be nice to be able to record the track I'd walked and be able to display that on a map or on Google Earth.

At the moment I'm using Ultra GPS Logger, and am very impressed with it. It's not just for walking - it can be used to record any form of travel, from flights and driving, to swimming (although the mobile might object to that!).

It's configurable in all sorts of ways. For example, you can set it to only log a position every so many seconds, and not use GPS (and battery) all the time.

Margaret's just tested it by walking back from Rafal, and when I displayed her track in Google Earth, it was spot on, as was distance and average walking speed.

#2 Mal Johnson

Mal Johnson

red

• VIP Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:41 AM

Jim, I too am trying to get back into some serious exercise after a knee replacement, I walk at least 10 miles every day, and by  the end of the week I am 70 miles away from home :36_19_2[1]:

#3 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

Hi Mal - the missus must be pleased about that!

#4 Mal Johnson

Mal Johnson

red

• VIP Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

:ccry:Hi Jim, old free and single, cant understand why though

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Surely there must be some nice widder ladies on the urb who'd be glad of your company?

Must admit, in some ways I envy you. Do what you want, when you want, how you want, dress how you want, make your own decisions...........

• weejohnten likes this

#6 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

I started with the apps a little while ago, then decided to go the route of the fitness trackers as add a little more flexibility into the exercise and a few other features over the phone only apps. 

Exercise wise, the world health organisation recommends the average person should walk 10,000 steps a day, to maintain a reasonable level of fitness. I started with a fitbit one, which is a small device which you clip on to your belt / pocket or bra strap. It's easy to check your steps at any point (one button) and also monitors flights of stairs and 'active' minutes - a good starting fitness tool, just to make you aware of what you are doing. Also monitors sleep. Fitbit has the easiest to use app as well (have also tried Garmin trackers too) - so easy to see historically how many steps you've done over a period / sleep and also you can log your weight and other exercises, should you wish to bother, which starts giving you a better long term picture of your progress - and also weight loss / gain should you wish to track. Device syncs with app, so you can periodically check your phone without unclipping or looking at device.

https://www.amazon.c...keywords=fitbit

Further up the range, for those that want to monitor their hearts (without a chest strap) you can now do this. Just ordered my dad a fitbit charge HR & about to upgrade myself to a fitbit blaze (also monitors heart + other work out types).

You can also link other users to a 'group' account - so now we have a mini competition between a few of us, so I can check in and see if my friends / partner are walking more than me. Small things, but add up to encourage you to be a little more active. 

Edited by graham1, 30 July 2016 - 09:35 AM.

• jimtaylor likes this

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

www.televisiontechnology.eu

#7 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

All good info, Graham, thanks.

I'm looking forward to the weather cooling down, so I can go and start on some of the many walks I've prepared. It will be interesting to see if the routes I actually do agree with those I intend to do!

• graham1 likes this

#8 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:37 AM

For a bit of walking I think we could all wait for the weather to cool down - or do the walk early morning, or mid evening.  Made the mistake of going for a dog walk at 5ish yesterday - poor dog didn't look to good, she was struggling with the heat, ended up carrying her half the walk and giving her a cold shower as could not cool down - have to be a little careful with these things.

I think the key is quite simple - just keep moving. As long as you get a reasonable amount of steps in on most days and don't kill yourself by over eating or boozing, your better than most !  

I spend too much time in an office during the day / in front of computer - so my tactic is to use a portable phone, so when i'm gabbing away answering the phones I pace up and down the office continually. Adds about 5000 steps to my daily count, without going to the gym or leaving the office...Never enough time...

Television Technology-

#9 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

You remind me of one day in the height of a hot summer on the North Yorkshire moors when Margaret and I took her dog for a walk. We ran out of water, Tipper got completely knackered, and in spite of giving her a dexedrine tablet had to be carried, To make matters worse - and memorable - we got to a pub at 2.00 pm and they'd locked the doors, although we could see people swigging away through the windows. When we finally got back to the car park, the snack bar van was just packing up, but the guy kindly gave us some water for the dog.

Your tip about phones, although very good,  unfortunately isn't any use to me. I'm a bit averse to phones, and hand off any calls to Margaret - I got an aversion to them when I was a department manager at British Aerospace, and spent so much time on the phone helping other people to do their jobs that I didn't have enough time to do my own job.

• graham1 likes this

#10 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

I wouldn't normally resurrect an old thread, but thought you might like to see the results of a little amble round our local lanes last Sunday morning. The phone screenshot includes details like distance, speed and time, and the Google Earth screenshot is what you see when I open the track in Earth. You'll probably need to click on the images to see them in detail.

Local test walk.jpg

Screenshot_20160820-060930.jpg

• graham1 and geoffllo like this

#11 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

I reckon your 3.93 km is about...(best guess) 6000 steps.

Today so far i'm up to 4756 steps which is working out to 2.73kms....Not too good.

10,000 steps a day according to the World Health Organisation, is what we should all be doing, to keep mobile - that goes for any age !

I seem to manage on on a few days, but sat / sunday seems to go sideways....last weeks total steps 51652 (averaging 7378 per day) - not quite good enough. Though I had a couple of short swims, a weight training session and kung fu, so by standards - not too bad.

My watch / toy / fitness monitor (Fitbit Blaze) - also tells me my resting heart rate is 54 bpm - so appears I am still alive. Definitely could do a little more walking - will do when it cools down a bit...

I've just bought my dad a fitness tracker, which I am going to set him up an account, so I can keep an eye on his exercise whilst I am in Spain - we have history of heart disease in the family and he needs to be doing gentle exercise - I bought him a gift so I can spy on him and nag him from afar......https://www.amazon.c...ds=fitbit&psc=1

Edited by graham1, 31 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

• jimtaylor likes this

Television Technology-

#12 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

I admire you, Graham. Problem with me is that my thigh muscles atrophied over many years, and I'm finding it very difficult to build up any strength and stamina in them since my knee op. That said, once the weather's cooled down, I've got a lot of walks planned, which should hopefully help.

#13 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:50 PM

It's always an uphill battle to try and keep fit when working around injuries / age etc....we all feel it.  It sounds like all things considered you are doing better than most.....who are not recovering from any operation !  It does seem to me now that injuries seem to take an awfully long time to heal...

Presently I can walk, but cannot ride a bike (after 15 minutes feel like someones stuck a hot poker behind my knee), my torn bicep seems to not want to heal (clearly not left it alone long enough too).....always something, but as long as I can work around it and do something, I find it helps - physically and mentally - overall wellbeing. Most people treat their cars better than their bodies...

Key is - just to do what you can to work around these things & not beat yourself up over targets -something is always better than nothing... I do find that by wearing a tracker on the wrist it does make you check / more aware of what you do and seems to have a knock on affect for me of making me walk a little more. Also helped by my partner and her fitness tracker, saying to me 'so how many steps have you done today'? .....healthy competition. Though not really....she's always walking around the shops....;-) No chance.

Swimming or just walking on the spot / picking your knees up a few time in the pool is very gentle. Also you can sit on a chair and slowly lift you lower leg from vertical to (almost horizontal) and repeat, this targets the quads above the knee and generally is the type of exercise used for rehabilitation of the knee joint. You can even add a little ankle weight if able to do. 

I think the heat is very sapping, so that knocks the stuffing / stamina out of you....Hopefully we'll all start to feel a little more energetic when it drops a degree or two....

Edited by graham1, 31 August 2016 - 04:56 PM.

• jimtaylor likes this

Television Technology-

#14 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

I'm already doing daily exercises. Leg lifts with a weight round my ankle, and step up and down off a stack of spare tiles I've got poolside.

As you say, the heat is a problem. Once it's cooled down a bit, and we start going walkies, things will hopefully improve a bit. Like the guy who puts a tracksuit on, I've already pumped up the tyres on my bikes, on the basis that cycling round our lanes is more interesting than doing things at home.

I'll also be soon asking someone to run me to Orihuela, to start the Segura walk to Guardamar. At one time, I'd have done it in one session, but given my age and 'fitness' I'll probably do it in four sessions. Anyone fancy joining me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users