Photo

BBC IPlayer, ITV Player, 4-O-D, etc catch-up sites.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have found a way of connecting (free of charge) to all the catch-up channels via the internet, without them knowing that you are in Spain. I was worried at first that I might get some nasties along with it, but I've been using it for a year now, with no problems.

If any members are interested in trying it, I am willing to post details of how to set it up. It only takes about five minutes.

Geoff

#2 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Yes please Geoff.

#3 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Here goes then:-

Instructions for setting up a proxy server.

I have set out below the instructions I give to folks in Spain who want BBC IPlayer etc. I have been using this VPN for a few months now, without any nasties creeping in!

In your browser address bar, type: uk.hotfreevpn.com (don’t put www. or anything else)

On the page that loads up, on the blue bit, click on “Win7 VPN”, or “WinXP VPN” according to what you're running.

Scroll down the page and set up the connection as per instructions.

User name is “free”

Password is “1234”

Name of connection is “UK VPN”

From then on, when your normal ISP is connected, you can open the UK VPN alongside it. When you open the UK VPN connection, you may have to wait a few seconds, then you will get a message “Additional log-on information may be required”. Click on this, then click on the mauve coloured “I Agree”.

You are then connected to the UK VPN. In the address bar, type “www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer” or “www.itv.com/player” etc etc.
I use cables from my laptop to the big tv, and we watch it like normal.

When you have finished with the UK VPN, remember to click on “Disconnect” and your Spanish ISP browser speed will soon return to loading up quickly (maybe not first time, but certainly second time).

Good luck, and I would be interested to hear whether it works for you.

Best regards
Geoff.

Edited by geoffllo, 16 August 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#4 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

I have been using "Expat shield" for the last two years. Free download & free to use.

#5 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have been using "Expat shield" for the last two years. Free download & free to use.

Expat Shield introduces a toolbar called Babylon that is very difficult to get rid of. It also hijacks your home page. Had lots of problems with it.

Edited by geoffllo, 16 August 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#6 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Many thanks Geoff. Will try this at first opportunity.

#7 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Expat Shield introduces a toolbar called Babylon that is very difficult to get rid of. It also hijacks your home page. Had lots of problems with it.

Never had that problem.

#8 Jedi

Jedi

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi Geoff
Thanks for your post - must be thick because no matter how
I try to follow the instructions or what I do - I cant set up the connection either on my lap top or my iPad
​Any chance you can do an idiots guild ?

regards
:3_8_14:

#9 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Geoff
Thanks for your post - must be thick because no matter how
I try to follow the instructions or what I do - I cant set up the connection either on my lap top or my iPad
​Any chance you can do an idiots guild ?

regards
:3_8_14:

Don't know what's wrong. I do know that it is possible to set up the connection, because I did it for somebody earlier in the week. Are you runnung Windows 7?

#10 Jedi

Jedi

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hi Geoff I am running windows Vista if that's any help

#11 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi Geoff I am running windows Vista if that's any help

In the bottom right of the screen, next to the date/time, look for a triangular shape made of upright bars. Click on it and see if one of the connections says "UK VPN" (If it does you have set it up. If not, how far did you get with the setup process?

#12 Jedi

Jedi

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Sorry cant find a triangular shape made of upright bars in right hand corner of screen or a connection that says "UK VPN"
Will have another try tomorrow morning and let you know

regards

#13 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Sorry cant find a triangular shape made of upright bars in right hand corner of screen or a connection that says "UK VPN"
Will have another try tomorrow morning and let you know

regards

It might be "hidden". Is there an arrow pointing upwards? If there is, click on it for details of all the hidden icons, including the one I'm talking about. Did you go for the Win7 version? I think that is the most likely to work with Vista. I think a mate of mine runs it on Vista. It's well worth the effort if you can get this connection up and running, cos you can watch what you want whenever you want. Geoff.
  • Jedi likes this

#14 Jedi

Jedi

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi Geoff
Went with the Win7 version and it did work with Vista.
I think Ive been entering in the wrong info .
You are right - It's seems well worth the effort if you can get this connection up and running, have been using it most of the day on test and no problems so far

Next job is to try to install it on my iPad.
I will let you know how I get on over next few days
I'm hoping it should be easy now Ive sorted out my lap top
Thanks for your help

Jedi

#15 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

That's good to hear, Jedi! I was on the point of offering to come round and install it for you, I am that convinced that it's a good idea! Don't know the first thing about IPads, though.

Glad you're sorted.

Cheers
Geoff.

#16 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Can´t get it to work on my mac unfortunately - it connects, but then when I try a website (any) I get the message to say tick to agree to the conditions but then it immediately disconnects from the VPN server.

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#17 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Can´t get it to work on my mac unfortunately - it connects, but then when I try a website (any) I get the message to say tick to agree to the conditions but then it immediately disconnects from the VPN server.

That's a pity Jan, cos it's good when it works. Is it a Mac thing, I wonder? If it is, I don't understand why it connects in the first place! Shame.

#18 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

That's a pity Jan, cos it's good when it works. Is it a Mac thing, I wonder? If it is, I don't understand why it connects in the first place! Shame.

Did you download the "Mac VPN" version?

#19 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yes. I think it might be something to do with the router - and probably something that can be fixed by re-setting so that it permits this particular VPN through the port. Just guessing though, and not confident enough to mess about with the routers settings. I´ve already got problems with the latest OSX I´ve purchased and installed - Snow Lion - it keeps dropping the wi-fi connection, so I´ve had to use the ethernet connection instead by plugging into the router. I´ve read that this is a problem for many with the latest OSX so I´m waiting and hoping they will offer a fix for this soon.

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#20 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

Jedi - Install filmon from the app store for the ipad. Has all the channels & it's free in standard definition.

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

www.televisiontechnology.eu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users