• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thought i'd post this up as there is a fair amount of internet rumour regarding the reception of the new Astra 1N satellite, when it starts its service.

Astra 1N is only part of a fleet and will be used for relief on 28.2 before it heads back to 19.2. Initially it will be for a 'support' role to the existing satelites.

When 1N finally arrives at 28.2, it is still only temporarily in this position, so what of the footprint of the next satellite comes along afterwards ? or when entire fleet is in place in a few years time?

Astra 1N There are 3 beams - 2 Pan European 1 UK based. Footprint maps of 2 of the beams look like they'll be fairly easy to receive, the 3rd beam, not so. However footprint maps are known to be quite innacurate and are theoretical.

According to Astras own website there is currently no definitive schedule date for operations for this satellite.

Anyone claiming they have an answer regarding the reception of Astra 1N in our location, they don't - all internet rumour & guesswork..

What may change matters - for the better, is the reduction in data useage costs with the new Astra satellites. Many do not realise that satelite dishes are still the fastest way of receiving data. What has stopped people using satellite dishes in non remote locations, is currently the cost of data and limits imposed.for overall useage.

When the new satellites are up, speeds will rise and data limits will fall - allowing very fast data streaming. A number of big players could well start sending down their TV via data (BBC Iplayer is only the beginning). In summary, even if the signal footprint is worse for normal TV reception, you may well be able to get it on a smaller dish than is currently needed, as well as the internet - legally from the original service provider.

Many major operators believe this will be the future of TV.

My opinion, for what is worth - We are all in the EU (well at the moment) and we do have a legal right to watch TV via a satellite dish, so a reduction of service may be in contravention of the EU Audio visual agreement. Astra is a business and their business is coverage. More coverage, more exposure, more money - so reducing footprint would not be good business sense. Just a guess :)

Edited by TVTechnology, 09 September 2011 - 08:53 PM.

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

www.televisiontechnology.eu

#2 bealerDSB

bealerDSB

red

• VIP Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for expelling the rumors and stating the facts.
DSB.

#3 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yes, thanks for setting out clearly the up-to-date situation. Perhaps when there's more information - you could update this post?

#4 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

I'll keep an eye on the updates- checked today and nothing to report since the original post on the 9th.

Edited by graham1, 21 September 2011 - 02:44 PM.

Television Technology-

#5 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

24 October.

SES today announced that its new ASTRA 1N satellite has entered commercial service at the orbital position of 28.2 degrees East.

ASTRA 1N is equipped with 52 transponders in the Ku frequency band.

ASTRA 1N is notably being used by Channel 4 and ITV.

Currently there are no further official annoucements of other channels, though rumours currently flying around are the possibilities of Channel 5′s 5* and 5US (currently encrypted on Sky), plus a high-definition channel from the Channel 4 stable; maybe Film4 HD, E4 HD or More4 HD. This is unconfirmed.

Astra 1N will have 3 beams, two of which are pan european & a single spot beam over the UK. There do not seem to be any major concerns over the reception of the pan european beams within Spain / Costa Blanca / Costa Calida - but where most are holding their breath is to see what channels are on the 'spot' beam and if this will be receivable locally.

Until the changes are made everything regarding reception is speculation, but it is probable there will be some changes by Christmas.

Edited by graham1, 25 October 2011 - 08:06 AM.

Television Technology-

#6 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Sky News has been put on Astra 1N on 11171 H 22000 FEC 5/6. Unsure if this is a test or permanent spot - eitherway we can pick it up, which is positive.

Sky News also remains on its old frequency of 12207 V - so anyone with a free to air receiver will not currently need to change anything.

Edited by graham1, 02 November 2011 - 11:55 AM.

Television Technology-

#7 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 862 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi,
Interesting,tried to pick this up in England 4.00pm ,no signal received.

Jack
Happyjackseven

#8 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

That's because they took it off again :blink:

Television Technology-

#9 bealerDSB

bealerDSB

red

• VIP Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for keeping this POST alive Graham.
Maybe it should be 'pinned' on the Front Page through the LL; So any news on these commonly reguired signals / recent changes could be found here ?

DSB.

#10 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Does look like there is a lot of signal testing. Problem is when they are doing this, they are not announcing it is a test, nor on what beam the signal is coming out on. With the Sky news, it appeared for a day, then removed again. We did receive it, but do not know which of the 3 beams it was on, as was not stated. I think there are going to be a few changes over the coming months - anything of interest, i'll post up.

Television Technology-

#11 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Astra 1N - 11053 H 22000 FEC 5/6. ITV 1

Shown as 20700 for ITV 1 Central South - free to air
20711 ITV 1 Central East - free to air

On a free to air receiver, scans in fine. On an Sky HD box (ours anyway) does not want to save it as does not seem to like the channel ident (2700), though does seem to scan in.

Good news at it shows the pan european beam 1N is strong - should be able to get on an 80cm dish (need to verify, though had reports o.k on 1 metre).

Addtionally on Astra 1N

SKy's channel 5 which is on 12422 H 27500 is also now on Astra 1N 10964 H 22000, strong signal (need Sky or freesat from Sky to receive)

Channel 4 HD, it is still on 12607 V 27500, though now seems to be also on 11126 V 22000 on Astra 1N - good signal.

Edited by graham1, 21 November 2011 - 04:28 PM.

Television Technology-

#12 bealerDSB

bealerDSB

red

• VIP Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

KEEP THE DATA COMING.
Been waiting on this... clap
DSB.

#13 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Any chance we'll get BBC News 24 back anytime soon?

#14 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Any chance we'll get BBC News 24 back anytime soon?

Yes buy yourself an ipad or iphone & download it for free - excellent app :blink:

Joking aside (actually BBC News on the ipad is really good) - We are very much in the lap of the servce providers. BBC News has switched to what is known as a 'low horizontal frequency' which is where BBC2 England / Scotland reside, (but not BBC2 NI / Wales) - basically very difficult for us to pick up.

They have stated that some of the existing Astra 2d services will be moving across to 1N & given time if they are going to decommission Astra 2d, then there is a reasonable chance of getting BBC News back - but that's assuming it will be on a Pan European beam (there are two of) and not the spot beam, which reception footprint looks bad.

That aside you still have Sky News, CNN, CNBC, Euronews, Bloomberg & Al Jazeera - which is a better channel than most realise, has lot of world news articles.

Edited by graham1, 22 November 2011 - 08:57 AM.

Television Technology-

#15 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the update and extra information. We watch Sky News now and again but prefer the BBC.

#16 bealerDSB

bealerDSB

red

• VIP Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yes buy yourself an ipad or iphone & download it for free - excellent app :blink:

Owch....lol..
DSB.

#17 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

Don´t forget the itouch. Best on the large ipad screen , but still very good on the itouch and you could get a 1st gen version quite cheaply now. Obviously needs a good internet connection, but works really well on my 6mb and its HD quality. I´d sell on my 32gb 3rd gen one as I´ve got a new one, but daughter has made me lend it to her until her birthday in June (she´s saving for the iphone)
Here is the list of UK channels you can get using the app:
BBC1
Dave -
Pick TV
Really
Channel 4
ITV1
Channel 5
BBC2
ITV2
ITV3
ITV4
E4
More 4
On top of that you get loads of extra channels, such as:
3 comedy,3 religious,2 documentary,8 German,1 Arabic, 3 Italian,3 French,2 Irish,15 lifestye channels, 8 music channels, 3kids - (Cbbc, Cbebbies), 2 shopping,2 education, 13 sports, film 4 and other movie channels, 5 Spanish - going to stop here, but there are more listed.

Can´t believe it´s free for the ipod & ipad - hope it stays that way clap

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#18 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Not sure how much TV you'd want to watch on an ipod touch - I've got filmon for the Iphone, but gimmick's aside don't think you want to be looking at a 3.5" or smaller screen for too long (though you could stream it off, but that would slow it down a little further). Works well enough on the ipad, when the internet decides it wants to be stable, which unfortunately is not always in our location.

Updates Astra 1N

ITV 1+1 Wales (+ 1 hour)

11053 H 22000 FEC 5/6 listed as 20715 (channel ident currently).

Edited by graham1, 22 November 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Television Technology-

#19 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

True, but for those here on holiday who just want to catch up with the news it would be good enough. I use it for Spanish TV, or when I can´t sleep - I can use my headphones and watch a bit of a movie and that usually gets me off to sleep :)

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#20 bealerDSB

bealerDSB

red

• VIP Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

True, but for those here on holiday who just want to catch up with the news it would be good enough. I use it for Spanish TV, or when I can´t sleep - I can use my headphones and watch a bit of a movie and that usually gets me off to sleep :)

Don´t forget the itouch. Best on the large ipad screen , but still very good on the itouch and you could get a 1st gen version quite cheaply now. Obviously needs a good internet connection, but works really well on my 6mb and its HD quality. I´d sell on my 32gb 3rd gen one as I´ve got a new one, but daughter has made me lend it to her until her birthday in June (she´s saving for the iphone)
Here is the list of UK channels you can get using the app:
BBC1
Dave -
Pick TV
Really
Channel 4
ITV1
Channel 5
BBC2
ITV2
ITV3
ITV4
E4
More 4
On top of that you get loads of extra channels, such as:
3 comedy,3 religious,2 documentary,8 German,1 Arabic, 3 Italian,3 French,2 Irish,15 lifestye channels, 8 music channels, 3kids - (Cbbc, Cbebbies), 2 shopping,2 education, 13 sports, film 4 and other movie channels, 5 Spanish - going to stop here, but there are more listed.

Can´t believe it´s free for the ipod & ipad - hope it stays that way clap

Which app in "particular" is working from outside the UK, a BBC News App, or....?
DSB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astra 1N Costa Blanca TV, Reception, Spain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users