• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

I am interested in (perhaps) attending a convention during a week-end in Bilbao later this year. Which raises the normal questions:

- has any one driven there by car from the Vega Baja?

- what route, how long did it take (hours behind the wheel)?

- if not in one day, where did you stay on the way up?

- or did you go by plane?

- can you recommend a reasonably priced hotel in the city centre? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated, muchas gracias!

#2 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

I've done the run a few times now - in fact I'm currently on a ferry heading for Bilbao, so I'll be driving down from there tomorrow.

The drive between Vega Baja and Bilbao is very easy - good fast roads with little or no traffic.

Time behind the wheel is about eight to nine hours, as the distance is about 850 km

I would recommend you head for Burgos on non-toll roads, then take the toll motorway to Bilbao, which costs about 21 Euros

I would say you would find a better hotel a little way out into the lovely countryside around Bilbao, but that's just my idea, having seen the city, which is a bit congested and tightly-packed in places. If you do decide to stay in the city, I would recommend you make certain that the place you choose has its OWN unrestricted FREE parking, not just locally available PUBLIC parking.

Geoff.

Edited by geoffllo, 18 July 2017 - 05:32 PM.

• KateandBob likes this

#3 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Isn't it frustrating, when you give time and effort to try to help a member who has asked for advice, and that member doesn't even so much as acknowledge that you've done it, much less say 'thank you'?

It's not how I was brought up, but sadly it's the way of the world nowadays!

Rant over!

Geoff.

#4 KateandBob

KateandBob

red

• VIP Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

i would guess he hasnt read it yet geoff,because after a nice detailed help post like that nobody would have ignored it!!

#5 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

I understand what you're saying Bob, but wouldn't you think that, after posting  a question, he would make an effort to check whether anybody had answered it??

Geoff.

#6 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

Very sorry, I only have a computer at home and have been away out of reach (looking after a neighbour's villa and their pets so that they could take an emergency flight to their home country). I only have an "steam engine" mobile phone i.e. only telephone and text messages. Not all of us have the fancy stuff.

I really do thank you for your advice, which - if it becomes possible - means that I should stay at a hotel/motel just outside town where the car will be safe and travel to the centre by taxi. Salu2

• KateandBob, freddy and geoffllo like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users