15 replies to this topic

#1 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hi ,
Has anyone bought replacement windows from this company?
I am thinking of replacing my windows and they seem cheap.Anyone bought and happy /unhappy?

And do they take credit cards

Jack
Happyjackseven

#2 SFLCRICKET

SFLCRICKET

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi ,
Has anyone bought replacement windows from this company?
I am thinking of replacing my windows and they seem cheap.Anyone bought and happy /unhappy?

And do they take credit cards

Jack

I bought a door from them a couple of months ago and I was very impressed, they even arranged a carpenter to fit the door into the frame for me so all I had to do was fit the frame into gap I had made in the brick wall

If their Windows are anything like their doors then you shouldn't be disappointed

I paid by Card but it was a debit card not a Credit card

It is a French company and most of the staff that I have spoken to are French but they do speak English, the store at Crevillente phone number is
966 68 25 39 if you need to check about the cards, I cannot see it mentioned in their catalogue ( I have two if you need one )

Bob
  • johnsweb likes this

#3 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hi Bob

Thanks, I have downloaded a catalogue. Heard only good reports so far.

Jack
Happyjackseven

#4 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

I've used Vialand been pleased with what I've bought - sliding wardrobe doors, mossie net kits, window. I'll shortly be needing another window, and will also be looking at Brico Depot a few hundred metres away from Vial going towards Elche. Don't think there's much price difference, but I've bought a lot of stuff from the brico and been well impressed with the prices compared with the likes of Aki.

Incidentally, for cheapskates like me, if you buy loose screws from Brico Depot, you cram as many as you can into a poly bag and pay a price for a bag full; what you do if you're buying other than very small screws, is part fill your bag, then add some small ones to fill all the gaps. This way I got 140 40x4mm screws and well over a hundred 13x3mm screws for less than €4 - beats buying them boxed.

#5 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

:1968: Not got a Scottish background have you Jim?

and before anyone starts - I have, so if I can laugh about it, so can you :)

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#6 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:32 AM

Coincidentally, both parents Scottish, and three of my grandparents. T'other one was Yorkshire, so not much different!

#7 SFLCRICKET

SFLCRICKET

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

Coincidentally, both parents Scottish, and three of my grandparents. T'other one was Yorkshire, so not much different!

Ex-wife, Eldest son and his Uncle all Tax Inspectors..........my books were perfect when I was self employed :)

#8 Martin

Martin

red

• VIP Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

I heard that the definition of a Yorkshireman is a Sctosman with all the generosity squeezed out of him.

#9 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Doesn't take a lot of squeezing!

#10 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Update.

I got one window from Vial for our utility room, some time before I had a chance to fit it, but I have now done so. Whereas I've been perfectly happy with other stuff I've had from Vial, I would never buy another window from them.

The frame profile is poor, with unnecessary dust traps, and a groove all the way round three sides so you can fit some angle to project out and cover any wall damage. Trouble with this idea is that the groove isn't deep enough, so you have to try and buy angle which has one side narrower than the other. The joins at the corners of the frame are crude, with raw aluminium and gaps showing. The drains on the outside bottom are just holes in the frame. Plus, on the one I got, the frame had been made 8mm too wide!

The sliders feel and look good. However, the glazing units were in my opinion too small, and should have been made a few mil larger. The glazing beads on both sides of the glass had not been properly fitted and were pulled away from the corners. The brush strips are not secured and drop out when you lift the sliders in or out. I had to do a lot of fettling to bring this window up to an acceptable standard.

I'm currently working on my study, and got the window from BricoDepot. Same size, virtually same price. Can't fault the quality - it has not a single one of the Vial problems. Much better design, construction, and finish. Perfectly happy with this window.

The system at BricoDepot is that you go to the windows department, tell the guy what you want, he gives you a form which you take to the construction yard office to pay, and when you come back he has your stuff on a trolley for you.

I opted in both cases for 'sin persianas' because these take six inches off your window height, and I wanted as much light as possible in both rooms.

I also got a mossie blind from BricoDepot, although I've had two from Vial which are OK, and which come with MFI type instructions. Once I've fitted this, if there's anything worth reporting, I'll do another post.

In the meantime, happy DIYing!
  • Landlady, happyjackseven, Martin and 6 others like this

#11 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Not that I know anything about windows - but this is an excellent post to help people who do :36_1_55[1]:

Thank you Jim, your posts are always very detailed and helpful

Click the green cross for him everyone, thum
  • SFLCRICKET likes this

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#12 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Jim,

As the original poster I will take on board what you said.

Jack
Happyjackseven

#13 SFLCRICKET

SFLCRICKET

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Jim

I am replacing a couple of windows shortly and your answer has been very useful

Thanks
Bob

#14 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 860 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi SFLcricket

Last time I was out my builder took me round to someones house where he had fitted some windows and I was impressed,so Ii have decided to go with him. They are made to measure in almorardi or was it Dolores (my age) anyway, when I am out in two weeks we will be going to the workshop to place my order. They take 2/3 weeks to be made.

If you are interested I can give you the address (when I know it) or when fitted you can come round and have a look.

Jack
Happyjackseven

#15 SFLCRICKET

SFLCRICKET

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

Hi Jack

Thanks for that, I was at Brico Depot yesterday and they had some d/g windows on offer €79.00 for the basic 1 metre by I metre, the slightly larger one was €135.00 ( roughly 1.15 by 1.08 if I remember rightly ) but that has the roller shutter type thing on as well

#16 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

They do have agood range, don't they.
Very basic, ordinary, and a dearer one that has a thermal break in the aluminium frame. Even in the depth of winter, I've never seen condensation on our other window frames, and doubt if there's much heat loss through them, so I just got the ordinary one. As I've said above, very pleased with it.

As regards the mossie net (mosquitera ventana), there's not much to choose between the Vial and BricoDepot models, although I found the BricoDepot one a bit easier to fit than the Vial one I'd had previously. Mind, the Vial came with better instructions; I actually had to think what I was doing with the other.
  • Suzanne likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users