• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MG1

MG1

red

• VIP Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

I will be over for a week in April and want to buy a Pay as you go USB modem (dongle) to access the internet. I thought that Vodafone did one but looking on their website can only see an option to have a monthly contract. As we are only over a week here and there I'd really like a pay as you go option.

Does anyone know of such an option in Spain?

Thanks..

#2 Karadave

Karadave

red

• VIP Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

I will be over for a week in April and want to buy a Pay as you go USB modem (dongle) to access the internet. I thought that Vodafone did one but looking on their website can only see an option to have a monthly contract. As we are only over a week here and there I'd really like a pay as you go option.

Does anyone know of such an option in Spain?

Thanks..

I didnt know they even existed in Spain, maybe someone knows better than me. :110103_sorry_prv1:

I do know in the summer down by the island there are some very nice looking young ladies offering some kind of a pay as you go service, but not sure what it is.Dave :f_eyebrows:

#3 jude

jude

red

• VIP Member
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

There is some very detailed info about an orange dongle on this forum. Try a search for orange, someone, Keith, I think posted very clear info and costs.
Jude

#4 KeithT

KeithT

red

• VIP Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hi

As Jude says, I did post some info ages ago and again fairly recently. That info, though, was for a contract (18 months) with Orange on a kind of pay as you use basis. (ie 6 euros per month flat charge then 2 euros for any day that you use it - with a max download of 1gb per month)

I think Karadave is correct in that I too dont think any of the mobile operators do a real pay as you go dongle (but if they did, and if similar to UK payg dongle charges, you'll pay a fortune for the dongle!)

If you already have a UK dongle, you could use it in Spain, but it would be very expensive (like roaming charges)

The alternative is to use an internet cafe - one at least in La Marina - or one of several places (like Chief O'Neills) which have free access to wi-fi. Both those two items have been the subject of posts in the past and again recently.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Keith

#5 MG1

MG1

red

• VIP Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Many thanks for the info...

#6 KevinBarker

KevinBarker

red

• VIP Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Many thanks for the info...

Hi Ya,

We at, Digital Vision have started to sell theses PAYG USB internet sticks. I am expecting more in today or Monday so I will let you know the prices. As far as I can remember from the last batch we sold you get 150MB for 20 Euros top up, or if you are going to use a lot of bandwidth you can pay for 1 week’s UNLIMITED use for 29 Euros.

this is a little info from the vodofone web site pasted below, if you wish to call us please call 966 797 604 or mobile 687 168 992.

thanks

Kevin

* The new USB modem uses HSPA technology enabling four times faster data upload to networks and the internet. Vodafone HSDPA coverage now includes 100% of the company's 3G network in Spain.
* Vodafone's new USB modem offers business clients universal access to the internet wherever they are, simplifies connectivity and can be connected to any kind of computer.
* The HSPA USB modem is available for business, SME and self-employed customers.

Madrid, 13 July 2007. Vodafone Spain will be the first operator to market the HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) USB modem, which quadruples file-upload speeds to the internet and networks, with speeds of up to 1.4 Mbps per second for uploads and up to 3.6 Mbps for downloads. Being auto-installable it is particularly easy to use. And because it uses a USB connection, it is suitable for every type of computer with a USB port, whether laptop or desktop. The modem will be available from the end of July for Vodafone Spain's business customers.

Vodafone HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) coverage now includes 100% of the company's 3G network in Spain. HSPA technology quadruples data-upload speeds to networks or the internet. It is already available in Zaragoza, Valencia, parts of Madrid and 21 other cities: Ciudad Real, Toledo, Albacete, Cuenca, Móstoles, Alcorcón, Parla, Pinto, Valdemoro, Fuenlabrada, Getafe, Pamplona, Teruel, Huesca, Castellón, Gandía, Sagunto y Salamanca, Segovia, Cartagena and Huelva. It is currently being extended to five other major cities: Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, Malaga and Bilbao. HSPA coverage will gradually be extended to the rest of the 3G network.

The HSPA USB modem is designed to support higher data-transfer speeds. This means that it will enable access to future upgrades to network speeds, while offering much faster broadband than is provided by conventional ADSL lines, thus making it an alternative to ADSL technology with the added advantage of mobile access.
Digital Vision - Computer Guru - Web Designer

#7 regatta

regatta

green

• green
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

There are (at least) two operators that offer a sort of pay as you go 3G dongle for internet access. There are perhaps more now. If you google for Yoigo and masmovil you will find the details you need. Neither, as far as I can remember, require a contract, and there is either a flat rate per day you use the service, or it's a pay per megabit arrangement.

A little word of caution though. I believe that both these operators use the Orange network, so make sure you can get an Orange signal where you want to use it first!

Good luck!

Neal Walker

#8 Giggsy55

Giggsy55

red

• red
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

29 euros a week - bit too much outa my pocket for any speed - yea it´s your friendly rip off supplier - 29 euros a week have you got that right kev??

amazed :23_11_52[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users