Photo

Drinking tap water in Spain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Allen

Allen

red

• VIP Member
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:30 AM

Just wondered what experiences others have had, drinking tap water in Spain (not too graphic please!)
:o
Is it generally ok to drink as soon as you arrive or do you need to adjust to it ?
If you live in Spain I suppose it’s something you have to get used to, otherwise it means lugging all those plastic bottles of water from the supermarket.

Personally I stick to bottled water when I stay, just to be on the safe side !
;)

#2 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

We've been drinking filtered tap water for nearly 5 years now and have never had a problem with it. Get a big Brita filer box that sits in your fridge and has a little turn tap on it to pour chilled water straight into your glass. Its great! You can buy them and the filters in Corte Inglese.

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#3 kemosabe

kemosabe

red

• VIP Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

Never had a problem with tap water. Stopped buying the bottled stuff. Use tap water for drinking, ice, coffee etc.
I have been to some places where it hasn't tasted very good, Mallorca was one, but if it tastes OK I haven't got a problem with it

K

#4 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

I've been here over a year and no problem whatsoever. When I tried my pool test kit on it a while back, there was certainly enough chlorine in it to kill any nasties. Our water is a bit on the hard side, compared to what we were used to in the UK, but we all need calcium!
cheers
Jim

#5 Billand Helen

Billand Helen

red

• VIP Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

We bought one of those cartridge jugs with the carbon filter inside. The water was fine, the filter leaving no taste at all. Once when changing the filter, I forgot to put the new filter in. It took a week to find out what I'd done. Couldn't taste the difference !! Come on in - the water's fine !! Bill

#6 JeanniesSis

JeanniesSis

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

I think it has a lot to do with where you live. Our friends who live in Torrevieja always drink their tap water & I found it ok but no way could I drink the water we have currently flowing through our taps outside Guardamar although it IS builders water at the moment so time will tell if it's ok to drink once Aguagest put us on the mains (any day they keep telling us.)

How's your water, Roger Posted Image

#7 holitots

holitots

red

• red
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

i know this is an old post but i am now quite worried for a lot of people, the tap water tastes fine and as said by one post that the chlorine levels in the water are very high, this in years to come can cause and is now adding to illnesses and failure to body parts, would you drink the pool water?
The thyroid gland etc are effected by the numerous chemicals in the water there are more schemicals in the water than chlorine.

The filter jugs only have small levels of filtrations and are not capable of filtering away all the nasties.

I was fed up with carrying bottles form the supermaket and at times boiled the water you could still taste the chlorine and other chemicals, my hubby who has stomach problems due to a rta year ago can not stomach more than one drink of the water boiled or not.

We looked at the numerous ways of filtering the water with different companies this is where we found out about systems needing changing etc costing a fortune by the end of the year,

Systems bought from the uk are for uk water supply only. They will not filter water here in Spain to make it safe for human comsumption. Most of these systems are only 4 stage, some are 5 stage and are Reverse Osmosis with a storage tank taking up valuable cupboard space.

The system we use from Crystal Clear Water Solutions is 6 stage and the system is the size of a fabric conditioner bottle. It requires no servicing unlike the other systems which should be cleaned & serviced every 3 months (regardless if it has been used or not). costing around 40 to 50 € each time

The only time this system needs attention is after about 2-3 years (10,000 gallons), filter change costing 100€.
This is the only system designed for Spains water supply and is only available from this guy costing 315€ and worth every bit .
He also does filters for water tanks and appliances (75€) to give them a longer life span. Also shower filters (100€) to stop your hair going like wire and rapid aging of the skin. We have all these installed in our house.

#8 Helena

Helena

red

• VIP Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

I actually think that the tea/coffee tastes better with the tap water than the bottled water. I do drink bottled water because it's convenient and cold from the fridge - is also a "cool sexy" thing to do ! Or so my daughter tells me.

I do notice that when I go to the Uk that you do have "nice" water. When you wash your hair in tap water in the UK you get a lot of lather from the shampoo - I have been told that is because you have soft water.

Back home our water has a lot of that hard stuff in it that coats the inside of the kettle and sometimes in the spring when the snow melts there is stuff floating in it and it smells funny. But they say it is safe to drink like that.

I doubt there is much wrong with the water in Spain even though it might taste funny sometimes to some people !

#9 rogerb

rogerb

red

• VIP Member
  • 931 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:00 AM

I think that there is much paranoia about the safety of what we eat and drink, on which the purveyors of such things as plumbed-in water purifiers and 'magnetic' softeners etc are cashing-in...... life is a fatal disease bounce
I saw one at the This is Spain exhibition which 'irradiates' the water with UV..... it was, IIRC, a mere €900 :o

We use a couple of filter jugs which remove some of the unpleasant scum/taste from the tea, but the filters are becoming increasingly and unacceptably expensive, so a cheap plumbed-in might make more sense....

I do object to having to buy water, having paid for it(in the tap) already :(
Roger

#10 Helena

Helena

red

• VIP Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 04:51 PM

I think that there is much paranoia about the safety of what we eat and drink, on which the purveyors of such things as plumbed-in water purifiers and 'magnetic' softeners etc are cashing-

What about the bottled water companies, they are making a fortune. From what I understand there are huge profits in the bottled water business.

Probably those huge hunks of beef people eat will kill you long before the tap water in Spain will !!! :barbecue.png:

#11 rogerb

rogerb

red

• VIP Member
  • 931 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

What about the bottled water companies, they are making a fortune. From what I understand there are huge profits in the bottled water business.
Probably those huge hunks of beef people eat will kill you long before the tap water in Spain will !!! :barbecue.png:

More likely one of those huge hunks of metal on the N332 ;)
Roger

#12 holitots

holitots

red

• red
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

I think that there is much paranoia about the safety of what we eat and drink, on which the purveyors of such things as plumbed-in water purifiers and 'magnetic' softeners etc are cashing-in...... life is a fatal disease bounce
I saw one at the This is Spain exhibition which 'irradiates' the water with UV..... it was, IIRC, a mere €900 :o

We use a couple of filter jugs which remove some of the unpleasant scum/taste from the tea, but the filters are becoming increasingly and unacceptably expensive, so a cheap plumbed-in might make more sense....

I do object to having to buy water, having paid for it(in the tap) already :(

The systems seem to be becoming more expenisve but in actual fact the cheaper systems end up costing more due to the fact that you have to getthem serviced regular and filters changed etc.

The system we purchased are 315 euros, it is the high levels of chemicals in the water that are dangerous in the long term.

As forthe water been drinkable it was in the costa blanca news not so long ago thatthe water in the Alicante province (of which we are all in ) had unacceptable high levels of some chemicals etc, I do not beleive everything I hear and read but I can taste it and smnell it, I may be fussy but been from Yorkshire and having such clean soft water i am a little spoilt.

There are filters that help break down teh limescale though for the boikllers etc.
up until yesterday I thought yeah what ever (i had already bought one and had it fitted for the hell of it) but yesterday I got a phone call from my daughter telling me the outside tap came off the wall, I rushed home called the plumber and turned the water off, The joint in the tap had rotted and I could not beleive the limescale made me ill thinking of drinking it and made me realise why the boilers and heating elements of irons washers etc do not last very long.

#13 rogerb

rogerb

red

• VIP Member
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

The systems seem to be becoming more expenisve but in actual fact the cheaper systems end up costing more due to the fact that you have to getthem serviced regular and filters changed etc.

The system we purchased are 315 euros, it is the high levels of chemicals in the water that are dangerous in the long term.

As forthe water been drinkable it was in the costa blanca news not so long ago thatthe water in the Alicante province (of which we are all in ) had unacceptable high levels of some chemicals etc, I do not beleive everything I hear and read but I can taste it and smnell it, I may be fussy but been from Yorkshire and having such clean soft water i am a little spoilt.

There are filters that help break down teh limescale though for the boikllers etc.
up until yesterday I thought yeah what ever (i had already bought one and had it fitted for the hell of it) but yesterday I got a phone call from my daughter telling me the outside tap came off the wall, I rushed home called the plumber and turned the water off, The joint in the tap had rotted and I could not beleive the limescale made me ill thinking of drinking it and made me realise why the boilers and heating elements of irons washers etc do not last very long.

But it's fact that the incidence of heart disease is higher, in UK, in 'soft' water areas than in areas with a high calcium content..... even though it does make a mess of the 'appliances', (and isn't nice for washing your hair) :)
Roger

#14 Helena

Helena

red

• VIP Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:51 PM

(and isn't nice for washing your hair) :)

Soft water - hair is shiney but flat

Hard water -hair is dull but has volume

If only there a way to have shiney hair with volume - is there something you can put onto your tap to make that happen !

#15 rogerb

rogerb

red

• VIP Member
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Soft water - hair is shiny but flat

Hard water -hair is dull but has volume

If only there a way to have shiny hair with volume - is there something you can put onto your tap to make that happen !

I'm sure your hairdresser can sell you some 'Product', as they seem to like to call it, to provide 'volume'... they appear to have 'something for everything' :)
Roger