• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

I also agree with the above. The site does not have a "homely" feel about it for some reason.

I only pop in there now and then as I am not keen on the format. I will persevere with it and see how things pan out.

Keep up the good work Jim.

#22 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:50 AM

Hi Steve

I thought the daily digest was enabled by default, but perhaps you have to select it - I just can't remember.

When logged into the new forum, click the three bars Menu icon at top left of the screen.

Scroll down to Email newsletter settings

Select frequency from daily, weekly, none

Select whether you want all posts, or just the ones for your area

Some members have found the newsletter going into their spam folder

#23 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

Thanks, Jim - sorted!

#24 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

I think 'not quite as simple' is a bit of an under-statement!

All the various categories are quite a good idea, but people keep posting topics in the wrong category, which kind of negates the organisation.

Also, I'm not impressed by having to choose a location, and the search facility isn't very good. Quite often I use Google to search the forum, instead of the in-built search facility.

Some of the topics have been hammered to death. For example, there are so many topics on the subject of getting UK TV that it's beyond ridiculous. It seems that people just can't be bothered looking at information that's already been posted.

I understand that Alex is going to introduce pinned topics, which will hopefully give people easy visibility to what they want to know, and stop them posting new threads.

If I ever have time, I'm going to try and produce some definitive guides to doing things - NIE, residencia, padrón, SIP cards, etc etc. At the moment I'm progressively posting threads about residents' tax returns, because all those I posted on this forum have been lost in one of the reorganisations.

In spite of all its peculiarities, it's a good and active forum, so please persevere and try to get used to it. If nothing else, have a look at the daily digest you receive, and if you see anything of interest, please contribute. There are obviously a lot of members who are new to Spain, and haven't done any research before moving out here. I usually try to help them, depending on how politely they ask their questions, but must admit I'm running a blacklist of people who don't bother to say thanks, and those people won't be receiving any more help from me.

A very good idea,Jim. You should write 'A Comprehensive Guide to Doing Things in Spain' - it really would be best-seller!

If you do, I will contribute a few pages on importing and registering your own car in Spain (having done it twice now, all by my little self!)

This time next year we could be multi-millionaires!

Steve

#25 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:41 AM

I doubt it would sell, Steve, certainly not enough to pay back for all the hours that would be spent on preparing a book. I've been thinking about it for years, but there's always been something else to do that's more interesting.

Going by the number of people on the new forum who keep asking the same questions, I get the impression that most people move out here without doing any homework at all. Even when they're here and they join the forum, they'd rather ask a new question without bothering to search to see if the question has already been asked and answered.

Even if we did do a book, it would possibly need a complete revision after Brexit.

• Ste46 and creator like this

#26 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

Wow Jim, can't help but notice the time on some of your posts - you must be a very early bird ...?

#27 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

True, I'm on a different shift to most people - up early and bed early.

The advantage is that it gives me several hours of peace and quiet to do things without any distraction. The disadvantage is that I don't have as much time in the evenings for reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users