• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

So sad, no new messages for a month now ....

It's nearly the end of October. In some parts of England, we've had a bit of an Indian summer. Warm and sunny - in fact, warmer outside than inside the house!

Clocks go back this weekend and with the evenings drawing in, it'll begin to feel more wintery.

Wherever you are and whatever you do, have a lovely weekend.

On a personal note, I hope I'm not disturbed by trick or treaters - but perhaps that's just me being a bit of an old killjoy!

• KateandBob likes this

#2 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

This is just a quess, but we have been so transfixed (?) by the goings-on in Barcelona (far more entertaining than Brexit; yawn, yawn) basically because it's like a La Liga match where you can't guess the final result.

By the way, what the non-Spanish press have rarely mentioned is that more than a thousand companies (banks like Sabadell and Caixa, insurance giants like AXA, industrials like Codorniu and Freixinet etc.) have moved their official head offices to a site outside Catalunya. It is relatively easy if there is already a branch office elsewhere in Spain; the board makes the decision and the main office and the branch office simply change roles. The down side - and it is a big one - for the extremists is that the official main office presents the annual accounts and pays the taxes.

• KateandBob likes this

#3 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

As much as I admire the courage of the rebels, I fear they are fighting a lost cause, and the biggest worry is the start of another civil war. Whatever the outcome, there will surely be some violence. I have heard about the large companies moving away, but what nobody has so far mentioned, is that now they have declared independance, they are no longer in the EU, and therefore not entitled to use the Euro. How do they get around that?
  • KateandBob likes this
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice

#4 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:14 PM

Those of the Catalans who are rebels may have "declared" their independence but such a declaration has absolutely no legal meaning until (enough) other nations recognise it. Normally this requires that you have full control over your territory, which is why the central government immediately took command of the police force. Remember Kosovo and the mess that followed their unsupported declaration? It will be very important to see the size of the demonstrations tomorrow in support of a united Spain. 

#5 weejohnten

weejohnten

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Well , shocker after having a house on Urb La Marina for nearly 14yrs I’ve just sold up, where am I going no Idea What am I gonna do with the dosh no idea
Only certain thing is I’m moving and not buying in Spain for a year or so till I see how things work out so it’s gonna be long term rental for my wife & I till all the shit settles
  • KateandBob likes this
Cheers John

#6 KateandBob

KateandBob

red

• VIP Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

well done you few for trying to keep this forum alive,god knows ive tried a few times.

#7 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Waiting to see what happens today. We had a wonderful day in Barcelona at the end of August whilst on a cruise. We walked the length of Las Ramblas, and viewed the shrine to those poor souls murdered by ISIS just a couple of weeks before. It was pleasing to see that it had not put people off, and there were thousands of visitors there. Mind you, there were a few there yesterday by the look of it. An intruiging situation, which I hope is sorted peacefully.
  • KateandBob likes this

#8 KateandBob

KateandBob

red

• VIP Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

we loved barcelona aswell although havent been for couple of years,we particulary like the latin quater,and if you search you can find resonably priced cafe/bars.

#9 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

I've been observing the situation in Spain too with much interest. I think the next days and weeks will be interesting and I hope that both sides can reach an amicable solution.

In the meantime, it seems like us, the rest of the world is closely watching this space.

#10 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've come to the opinion that it's time to say goodbye to this forum, and save Jan and Alex the cost in money and time that's involved in keeping it going.

However, I wouldn't want to say goodbye to all the regular members who have kept it going for so long.

I suggest, as I did some time ago, that if you haven't already done so, you join the 'new' forum, and use your existing user name so we can recognise one another.

It's as active, or more so, than this forum used to be in its heyday. There are some very good members, quite a lot of lurkers, and some ignorant bar stewards - in other words, the usual mix!

https://www.costablancaforum.com

• KateandBob likes this

#11 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Just jumped over Jim.
  • KateandBob likes this

#12 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

And me!

• KateandBob likes this

#13 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Maybe, just maybe .... the fat lady isn't singing yet ....?!

#14 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Come on, Gurminder/Manjit, I at least would love to see you on the new forum. 

• KateandBob likes this

#15 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:44 PM

Thank you Jim, that's very kind of you..... I signed into the new site some time ago but haven't got much further yet.... it's not quite as simple as this site so may take a while for me to navigate around it.

See you on 'the other side'!

#16 Martin

Martin

red

• VIP Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

I also joined the other forum, but grumpy old me is averse to change and the format is quite different. It will take me a few months to get used to it!
  • Ste46 likes this

#17 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

I think 'not quite as simple' is a bit of an under-statement!

All the various categories are quite a good idea, but people keep posting topics in the wrong category, which kind of negates the organisation.

Also, I'm not impressed by having to choose a location, and the search facility isn't very good. Quite often I use Google to search the forum, instead of the in-built search facility.

Some of the topics have been hammered to death. For example, there are so many topics on the subject of getting UK TV that it's beyond ridiculous. It seems that people just can't be bothered looking at information that's already been posted.

I understand that Alex is going to introduce pinned topics, which will hopefully give people easy visibility to what they want to know, and stop them posting new threads.

If I ever have time, I'm going to try and produce some definitive guides to doing things - NIE, residencia, padrón, SIP cards, etc etc. At the moment I'm progressively posting threads about residents' tax returns, because all those I posted on this forum have been lost in one of the reorganisations.

In spite of all its peculiarities, it's a good and active forum, so please persevere and try to get used to it. If nothing else, have a look at the daily digest you receive, and if you see anything of interest, please contribute. There are obviously a lot of members who are new to Spain, and haven't done any research before moving out here. I usually try to help them, depending on how politely they ask their questions, but must admit I'm running a blacklist of people who don't bother to say thanks, and those people won't be receiving any more help from me.

#18 Amarillo

Amarillo

red

• VIP Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thank you Martin and Jim - I thought it was just me!

I will take some time out and give it a chance but I'm afraid that I am also a bit adverse to change.

Don't let anyone change you Jim - you've helped lots of people in the past and I am sure that you will continue to do so in the future - if they don't show their appreciation, it says more about them than you.

#19 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 464 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

I tried the "other" forum but found it much less easy to pop into for a quick look which this one makes simple.

Must confess to reading the "expats in spain" and "gandia grapevine" Facebook pages these days.

Very active both of them with all the usual problems as outlined by Jim above.

"Citizens advice bureau" FB page also recommended for factual information with a join and receive help option.

None of them with a "bar-room" though :(

Good luck all wherever you end up.

Brian Abrahams

#20 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

I have to concur with all three of you - excellent site but not as easy as this one to just pop into or navigate. I think 'not liking change' must be an age thing?

Deffo agree with the comments about Jim - keep up the good work!

(By the way - what 'daily digest'?)

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users