• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

I received a Spanish driver's license for five years when my "old country" license ended at age seventy. This autumn I have to renew it. I would really appreciate it if those who have gone through the renewal process could advise me on what/where/how to complete the process.

By the way, the symphonic wind bands of San Fulgencio and San Isidro will combine to give a concert at the San Fulgencio theatre this Sunday 24.09. with the bands coming back from marching around the village at about 20.00 with the concert starting at about 20.30. Welcome to start off the concert season with style!

#2 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Go to the clinica "Alone" above the farmacia on main street in Guardamar. (Avda. País Valenciano, 29 )

They do the medical, take your photo and do all the paperwork and send it off. They give you a temporary licence and your new one arrives in the post about 3 weeks later. Take your passport with you when you go. They only do this a couple of evenings each week but I can't remember which ones. The phone number is 966 72 75 20

Hope this helps.

#3 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Totally agree with Creator, and it's Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5pm til 8pm.
Geoff.
  • creator likes this

#4 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:39 AM

You're not tied to the one clinic. A full list of them ll is here:

http://www.dgt.es/Ga...Conductores.pdf

We've just received renewal reminders from the clinic we last used, and would have already been but for health problems with Margaret.

• creator likes this

#5 Studio 17

Studio 17

red

• VIP Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

Do you need to make an appointment?

Martin the artist in Rojales
Capture the beauty

#6 Carole

Carole

red

• VIP Member
  • 557 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Making appointments depends upon the the place.   The last few times that we have had to renew we have used the place in Catral instead of Almoradi (it has been cheaper) and have never made an appointment.

Edited by Carole, 23 September 2017 - 08:05 AM.

#7 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

The letters we received from the clinic with centres in Callosa and Catral doesn't mention appointments, and the website doesn't offer that facility either. You just go and wait your turn.

#8 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

No appointment needed in Guardamar.

• Studio 17 likes this

#9 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Wow, I (almost) don't believe this. So many prompt replies from so many persons and all of them to the point. Muchissimas gracias! I was a bit worried because I must go "back home" and there will be only a few weeks after I come back to apply for the new license. What I must remember (besides having a haircut for the photo, says wife) is to take the original license. I have had a copy in my wallet (the original is safe at home) and during all these years it has been questioned only once.

#10 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

Depends how long you're going back for, Andreu. You can renew your license up to three months before it expires. From the DGT website:

La solicitud de prórroga del permiso o licencia puede presentarse tres meses antes a la fecha de la pérdida de vigencia.

#11 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Once again thanks to all above replies. I went this evening to the Alone clinic in GdS; all done in less than 15 min. Now just to wait for the mailman.

#12 PeterS

PeterS

red

• VIP Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Is it the same procedure when I want to change my Dutch licence for a Spanish one.

#13 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

I would assume so, as a resident in Spain I was no longer able to renew my license back home. For your information, it is clinica Alone in GdS at 29 Avda Pais Valencia (the main street two blocks up from the church), 2nd floor entrance next to the Farmacia Mora, tel 966 727 520. They are open for driving licenses on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 17.00 to 20.00. You will need to show your passport, current driving license and residencia form.

#14 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:07 PM

Is it the same procedure when I want to change my Dutch licence for a Spanish one.

I think you would need to go to traffico in Elche or Alicante.

#15 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:09 AM

Clive's correct. To change a license you need the medical, and then you need to go to Trafico with all the necessary papers.

• creator likes this

#16 Andreu

Andreu

red

• VIP Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

Yesterday the postman (old Urb Marina hands will remember him as the guy who trained for the marathan by running with the mail before they received their yellow scooters) delivered my new driver's license. Excellent timing as my old one would have run out Monday. Also the new one is dated from when the old ran out and not from the day I had the medical and gave in the old one. Now that is service!

• creator likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users