• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kenneth1

Kenneth1

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Today at the beach in La Marina, my wife, daughter and two grandchildren were caught by the under current about 20 metres out. It took then almost 5 minutes to get back on the beach, totally exhausted. Luckily they are all good swimmersø. It was hard for my daughter as she held onto both children. There were no waves or wind and everything seemed so safe when they went in the water.
SO PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL AT THE BEACH
  • KateandBob likes this

Save the water, drink beer.

I can't forget that I don't remember!

#2 KateandBob

KateandBob

red

• VIP Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

so glad they are safe.............and like you warn,everybody be careful especially children or weak swimmers.

• Kenneth1 likes this

#3 Kenneth1

Kenneth1

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

The only good thing was that the kids thought their mum was just playing a game with them. So there was no frightening experience for then,but the two adults are still shocked.
  • KateandBob likes this

#4 Carole

Carole

red

• VIP Member
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

It must have been quite a frightening experience for her.   Over the years there have been quite a few instances of people in difficulties along that coast line with some fatalities, particularly around the Santa Pola and Guardamar.   There have been quite a few articles in the 'freebie' newspapers about what to look for when going in the sea in order to attempt to not use the places where these very strong undercurrents occur.

• KateandBob likes this

#5 weejohnten

weejohnten

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

Always be very careful on a beach , the simple way is if you see waves breaking along the beach and there is a calm area in the middle be wary it could be a rip tide .
if you are unlucky and get caught in one the best plan is to lie on your back let it pull you out usually about 50mtrs to the head (see pic) then swim left or right heading for the shore WITH THE BREAKING WAVES. In truth everybody should learn this because the temptation is especially with young ones is to enter the water where it's calmest. Hope this is of some use people
Pic attached

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1891.JPG
  • IMG_1892.GIF

Edited by weejohnten, 06 May 2017 - 09:04 AM.

• jimtaylor, greytop, KateandBob and 1 other like this
Cheers John

#6 Kenneth1

Kenneth1

red

• VIP Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Thank you all for your help and comments, back home to the cold north this afternoon.

#7 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

We were on a weekend stay in El Campello and had an apartment with a great view of the beach.  I noticed in several places small areas where the waves breaking on the sand showed as in the picture John posted and thought at the time that must be where an undercurrent would be. Everyone should know about this.  Glad your wife, daughter and grandkids are ok Kennith. Must have been very frightening for them.

• Kenneth1 likes this

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users