4 replies to this topic

#1 Aaitch

Aaitch

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Alan

Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom - O Wendel Holmes

#2 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Hi Aitch - can I pick your brain?  Do you know what the different Windows 10 version numbers mean?

I checked for updates and mine reads "Windows 10 Version 1607 para sistemas basados en x64 (KB4015217)" and finally managed to install it. There are references in the MS help pages to other versions (e.g. 1703) - are they just versions such as Home, Pro, Server etc.?

It's probably not just me is confused!

Thanks, Brian

Edited by greytop, 13 April 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#3 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:51 AM

Hi Brian

Have you got your machine set to defer updates? If not, it should have already been on your machine a while back.

1607 is otherwise known as the Anniversary update which came out last year - one of the major updates - in effect a new install, similar to the service packs on Windows 7.

The latest major update, which only came out this week, is the Creators update - version 1703 - and it's being made available progressively, so it could be a while before you're prompted to install it.

1607 means it's 2016, released in month 07 i.e. July 2016.

1703 similarly means released March 2017, but they seem to have broken their own naming convention as it was only released in April - unless the name is based on when it's available to developers.

The twice yearly major updates are probably best installed overnight or when you don't want to use the computer, as they're multi-gig downloads.

Is your system language set on Spanish? If so, you can change it to English. Plenty of guides on the web, but the first I looked at seems OK:

http://www.windowsce...uage-windows-10

Hope this helps.

Jim

• greytop likes this

#4 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Jim - I installed the update Aitch mentioned above.

I then looked at the "Creator's upgrade" description but most of the "improvements" seemed to be about parts of Win10 I never use such as sharing web pages, Cortana and other esoteric bits.

Seems like my confusion is because they refer to things by name (anniversary / Creator update) and numbers (1607 / 1703) but nowhere on the MS help pages or forum could I find a decription of which was which.

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

And then they use Build numbers, and KB numbers. Very confusing for the majority of people. 

I agree with you about the bit's we'd never use. I've still not found anything about Windows 10 which would persuade me to change from 7.

• greytop likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users