• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DHubbard

DHubbard

red

• VIP Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

We recently bought an Android box for the TV.with Kodi.  All went well for the first week or so, then we started having issues with inordinate waits for buffering before programmes and then the programmes halting whilst we watched thm for further buffering.  I have tried solution suggested by the supplier, including clearing the cache.  Nothing has worked so we conclude that it's our internet speed.  But when I test (using Ookla and speedmeter) we pretty much get sufficient speed for the box to function perfectly well (usually at least 6 or 7 mbs of the 10 we are contracted for and sometimes over 9.5).

So to the topic.  Can anyone recommend free internet speed tests which you believe to be really accurate?  I'm a bit concerned that the tests I've been running are giving me a false sense of security and that the android box is demonstrating that we DO NOT get the sort of speeds we think we are getting!

Any advice would be gratefully received!

David

#2 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Try this one David       https://fast.com/

#3 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hi,

Don't know which box you have but those speeds as you say should be ok. I assume you do not know anyone with a box you could try?

You could try pausing what you are watching for a couple of minutes or so ,and then playing ,I think this gives the box some (catch up) time. Ethernet connection is better.

Best I can do at the moment.

Happyjackseven

#4 happyjackseven

happyjackseven

red

• VIP Member
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Hi

Just tried fast.com

Got readings between 9 and 26 mbps.

Ookla gives me 42, which is what I pay for,I find Ookla and speedtest very accurate.

Happyjackseven

#5 DHubbard

DHubbard

red

• VIP Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Thank you creator and happyjackseven.  I think we will now try for an Ethernet cable - we seem to be regularly getting sufficient speed but perhaps the two interior walls between our router and the TV are messing things up for us.  We have a friend who has exactly the same box, whose router and TV are in the same room, and he has absolutely no problems with over lengthy buffering and streams being unavailable.

#6 weejohnten

weejohnten

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

Another idea which resolved my problem is a booster easily got on amazon Es or in media Mart etc . I have one and it works perfect I stay in older house the box in the bedroom and router in the lounge I have 2 of these box's the lounge worked perfect with either wifi or Earthenet cable , the bedroom buffered when signal dipped I only have a max of 8MB speed test suggested in bedroom on the box only 5. Or 6 at best fitted booster in hall between both box and router problem solved . I stay on the Urb happy to let you try it for a day if you want. Only cost about 20euro

Edited by weejohnten, 20 March 2017 - 08:51 AM.

• DHubbard likes this
Cheers John

#7 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

Issue may be one of Kodi - this type of comment, have seen more times than I can count.

Kodi is not always stable. One issue is too many people jump on some of the live channels / streams and no matter how fast your internet is, you get buffering.

To summarise of all of the TV systems - period, Kodi is the least stable.

Now it may not be the case in this instance, as cannot be 100% without test. What I can tell 100% is that you will have buffering with Kodi at some point. I have friends in UK on 200Mbps Virgin Fibre, run netflix in 4K (requires stable 15Mbps), but can't watch the football game on Kodi as stuttering all over the shop.

If you want stable with IPTV - Kodi is fine for a free, it is not fine for good stable service and sports. For something that works to a decent standard, hosted subscription service. Different entirely.

You tend to find with Kodi, that films and series are mostly ok - though you do still get missing streams and not the best quality, but it does seem to struggle with a lot of the live sporting content. That is where we see the most complaints with this type of service.

Also worth mentioning is speed tests do not measure something very important. Stability. They take 30-60 second snapshot of your internet. Which tells you the speed, at that point. What it does not tell you, if your internet drops off for a couple of seconds every ? 10 minutes (could be any time period), dropping your speed down, then back up again. This would cause any internet TV service to glitch - so also have to take a look at your internet and possibly could the issue lay with this.  You watch TV for hours, requiring internet stability for the period you watch TV, your speed test, but a minute or moment in time...not as helpful as many believe, not for fault diagnosis, we need better consumer monitoring tools. A speed test is a good starting point as theory says if your speed is ok, so is your TV & we wrongly assume we will get a stable internet service. Locally that is simply not the case, certainly some of the time. If your internet is unstable, it will affect any internet type TV system.

So just to confuse you and to clarify - it could be Kodi or poor internet. Either / or / both. 

You could do a blind test. Pick a favourite channel or stream on your Kodi box, the one which seems to continually buffering. Take box to friends, same time of day, different internet provider, same channel, see how behaves. If same way, then Kodi, if not, may be internet - this is a very simplistic trial and not 100%, as more test would be needed - but an indicator in the right direction.

So if you have Kodi and poor internet, give up and install a satellite dish. The money would be better spent, with far less frustration.

Edited by graham1, 22 March 2017 - 04:15 PM.

• jimtaylor likes this

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

www.televisiontechnology.eu

#8 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

I'm going to add to the above - there is a lot in the UK press at the moment about Kodi and service providers having the shackles let off them to block the streams.

What we are aware of is a new approach by these companies, who now may be using 'ethical hackers' to cause disruption to services. It is difficult for large companies to sue individuals hosting their content for Kodi & as soon as one goes, another one starts. By using hackers to disrupt these type of services, perhaps they believe people will go back to using the original service or purchasing content.

Above is not a quoted report or I can state as fact - it is only my opinion. I believe we are likely to see at some point, maybe already - just know way of knowing unless tracing it there and then. 

Edited by graham1, 22 March 2017 - 04:27 PM.

Television Technology-

#9 DHubbard

DHubbard

red

• VIP Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for all your comments.  We have actually had am improved experience over the last few days having done nada!  But we are buying a wifi booster because we think this will help us get a better wifi signal in other parts of the house, regardless of what it does for/doesn't do for our android box.  Thank you for that idea weejohnten.

Graham suggests buying a satellite dish...can I take this thread in a slightly different direction please?  We are having a house built in the campo outside Catral.  Our house here on LM Urb has a mini dish on the roof fitted by our wifi provider (Telfy).  We have a wire running down the outside of the house and into our back bedroom. We DON'T want a wire running down the outside of our new house nor are we that struck on having an installer bolt a dish on to our brand new chimney.  We have thought about having a large satellite dish (for TV) at the new place and the builder is planning to give us an entry point to the house so a dish can be connected after they have delivered the house.  So, probably daft question is:  is it possible for a wifi provider to beam to a satellite dish primarily designed for TV?  If not, we will probably have to grit our teeth and let them put another mini dish on the top of the house.

• weejohnten likes this

#10 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

Guessing a bit, but I'd say no. Even if the different wavelengths wouldn't present a problem, a satellite dish points up, whereas a wi-fi providers dish needs to point at their mast, which will be virtually horizontal. And a satellite dish points, say, 28 degrees east of south, whereas your wi-fi provider's mast will surely be in a totally different direction.

If the house is still being built, then why not get a low-loss coax lead fed internally down the walls before they're plastered/rendered/gotalised.

#11 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

My Wi-Fi dish uses a non-coaxial cable. What I´d suggest is to have cable trunking installed from the roof to anywhere you think you'll need them and they  can be used to run whatever cables you need in the future. If you know which supplier(s) you will be using have a word with them as to what they'll need. The antennas always need line of sight to the provider (or satellite) hence the need to be up on the roof, or maybe high on an external wall. Certainly cheaper and easier if you can plan to do it during the build.

#12 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

We have actually had am improved experience over the last few days having done nada! 

Yup, random Kodi or ISP issues....comes and goes.  Keep an eye on times - if issues present themselves later in the day, when internet usage locally higher, then could point to more of an issue with ISP.  Telfy, generally are pretty good.

We DON'T want a wire running down the outside of our new house nor are we that struck on having an installer bolt a dish on to our brand new chimney.  We have thought about having a large satellite dish (for TV) at the new place and the builder is planning to give us an entry point to the house so a dish can be connected after they have delivered the house. 

No you do not want a big dish attached to your chimney. You can do, but we don't generally recommend, not a strong enough fixing - though you can if required stick a steel plate the other side to bolt through - as it stands, generally - too weak.

Small Telfy dish / microwave is connected by CAT 5/6 ethernet cable. Different system, no use, unrelated.

In terms of cabling, in most properties (apart from much older ones) you should have telecommunications ducts. Usually technicians find a point to site the dish, taking note where access entry point is to the ducts, then tidy cable to this point, then entry into the ducts - at which point can  't-off' and make connections where required in house. Of course without seeing the house and where telecoms ducts are, cannot be exact - just giving you the 'general approach'.  We automatically assume people don't want to see cables..

If the house is still being built, then why not get a low-loss coax lead fed internally down the walls before they're plastered/rendered/gotalised.

Because if you have a problem with a cable in a wall at a later stage, you will need a punch a hole in the wall to pull out or access. DO NOT DO!  Seen this only once where a builder had rendered all cables in the wall. Disaster and costly to rectify. There should be telecommunications ducts within all new buildings. A point in each main room and a central box on the house, where you can drag between points - standard on new builds. 

Alternatively rather than a dish, option of using a decent hosted IPTV type service, which is not same (long way from) Kodi. For free to air dish is best value / quality of picture & audio - no subscriptions. If looking for more - Sky, Sports, catch up TV and video on demand, these are available on hosted IPTV (no satellite dish solution). Depends on budget and type of viewing / facilities required. 

Edited by graham1, 27 March 2017 - 12:37 PM.

Television Technology-

#13 DHubbard

DHubbard

red

• VIP Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Thanks all...graham, I have pm'd you regarding satellite dishes.  I hope to hear from you soon as our electrician is waiting for an answer from us on satellite systems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users