39 replies to this topic

#1 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

So what do our resident members think?

We did postal votes to stay in. Before the referendum was announced, the pound was worth €1.42, then it dropped a lot. Yesterday, I could have got €1.32, as the financial markets thought the vote would be in favour of Bremain. At one point this morning, when the result came in, it dropped to just over €1.20 before recovering slightly. At the time of this post, it's €1.22.

From €1.42 to €1.22 we're seeing a drop in income of 15%.

OK, we won't see any other changes quickly, but it puts our annual pension increases into doubt, as it does our cover for health treatment.

Can anyone see anything positive for us residents emerging from Brexit?

#2 Yorkie

Yorkie

red

• VIP Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

I wonder if this is just a knee-jerk reaction by the moneymen?  I wonder if after a few days things will settle and calm down?  The Footsie closed down today only 3%.  I reckon there will be a much bigger fall if Trump gets elected!

#3 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

I wonder if this is just a knee-jerk reaction by the moneymen?  I wonder if after a few days things will settle and calm down?  The Footsie closed down today only 3%.  I reckon there will be a much bigger fall if Trump gets elected!

Bl***y H**l - he's not standing for Prime Minister now, is he???

Steve

• jimtaylor and greytop like this

#4 Yorkie

Yorkie

red

• VIP Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Bl***y H**l - he's not standing for Prime Minister now, is he???

Steve

Hehehehehe I left myself open to that one didnt I.  Trump as PM....shudder.

#5 KateandBob

KateandBob

red

• VIP Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:30 AM

to be honest we did not vote,because we honestly did not know which way to.i could only see good and bad for both ways.......and still feel the same way now.

#6 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

Hope your postal vote got there Jim as I heard that Correos were binning all the votes as they wanted 1.50€ to post them even though it said no stamp required.

Luckily friends were going to the UK and they posted ours there.

#7 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:01 AM

I honestly don't know what it will eventually mean for all you expats, it must be a worry for you, but I hope it works out OK for you. As far as the UK is concerned, I am convinced that in a few years time it will prove to be the best decision we have made in a long time, and I also feel that the EU's days are numbered, as many other nations are now looking at leaving too.
  • seags likes this
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice

#8 VictorS

VictorS

red

• VIP Member
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

I would be more worried about the future of the United Kingdom , can see both Scotland and Ireland getting out and if they do possibly Wales will as well . So Boris and Co will be responsible for a little country on its own called England , if that happens how will they be remembered in history ? 

• james76 likes this

#9 james76

james76

red

• VIP Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

At this minute,18.35 the pound has now crashed to 1:14:88 so almost 1.15 to the pound and predicted to fall lower(might be better to get your money converted now before it drops lower),as for future health benefits,residency etc,people in the uk are saying we have to take care of the 2:2 million European residents Here in Britain,oh yeah!! I think we have to find out and get a guarantee of the Brits will not be kicked out of Spain,Ireland,France,etc,if we take care of there's in the uk.!!!!
james76

#10 james76

james76

red

• VIP Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

At this minute19:12 the euro is now at 1:13.5 as predicted yesterday,the holiday pound is nosediving out of control and could fall even further, I recon this will put a halt to many holidaying people to Spain,but the uk will see a big influx of people who use the euro as the exchange rate is better,lamarina shops and bars will definatly suffer as air fairs to Spain etc rise,from the uk.A family of 2adults and 2 kids to Alicante from the uk is £700 flight only.+ £770 with jet 2.

Edited by james76, 06 July 2016 - 07:23 PM.

james76

#11 Yorkie

Yorkie

red

• VIP Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

At this minute19:12 the euro is now at 1:13.5 as predicted yesterday,the holiday pound is nosediving out of control and could fall even further, I recon this will put a halt to many holidaying people to Spain,but the uk will see a big influx of people who use the euro as the exchange rate is better,lamarina shops and bars will definatly suffer as air fairs to Spain etc rise,from the uk.A family of 2adults and 2 kids to Alicante from the uk is £700 flight only.+ £770 with jet 2.

But I can remember coming over a few years back when I was getting 1.08.  Its been worse and will get better.  Personally I cant see brexit actually happening so this time next year it will be back to the 1.25 it should be

Just looked at my diary and xmas 2008 the base rate was 1.04!!!!!!

Edited by Yorkie, 06 July 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#12 paullewis

paullewis

• PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

I was a "remainer" and disappointed by the outcome of the referendum and going into the unknown.  

#13 Studio 17

Studio 17

red

• VIP Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

Here is a graph of the actual exchange rate from GBP to EURO over the last few weeks, whilst the graph below it shows the whole of last year.

Quite obvious to see when the Brexit occurred, whilst this time last year the exchange rate was climbing.

The exchange rate has not been as low since 2008.

Attached Thumbnails

• xc.jpg

Edited by Studio 17, 08 July 2016 - 08:05 AM.

Martin the artist in Rojales
Capture the beauty

#14 graham1

graham1

redstar

• VIP Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'm worried. So far 15k down personally - as is pension fund currently.

I've been involved in businesses within the EU since I was 19 years old, worked in different countries as well as worked with other Europeans. Always found the cross border movement and trade helped a lot. Very little paperwork.

Now - according to EU law, those employed within the EU, must give first priority to other EU members for works. Translated - those English people looking for employment overseas now potentially can be bumped to the bottom of the employment list for any EU company. This is terrible and more so for young people, who need as many opportunities as possible.  

7 billion lost in EU Sciences grants, loss of sports grants. A long period of instability, even if recovers, will cause stuttering / retraction of growth to the economy, potentially growth wise, could set the UK back 10 years.

Fragmentation of the country - those under the age of 50 years old voted to remain in for business / work. Those not working, retired - in the main voted out (least affected by work / currency).  80% if those in council estates voted out (why more benefits for you if we keep people out??). 

Daily mail should be prosecuted for the misinformation they presented, then after the vote apologised for the 'what is going to happen' article - they convinced all their silver haired readers to follow Joan Collin's opinion (really) to leave, and only giving them the potential negatives (truth) after the vote. This angered many of their readers - after they had voted the way the mail wanted them to - Michael Goves wife is a columnist....politicians wives on the Brexit campaign assisting in manipulating media? Worrying.

A really uncomfortable mix of opinions and a vote based on lies, propaganda and worst of all became for many about the borders and little else.  Many of those who voted out did as a protest vote about current government issues - which have nothing to do with the EU, so misguided. The majority of (elder) people I spoke with who cited border control first and had little knowledge of anything else the EU does. Also other issues cited were local government issues and nothing to do with the EU.

I do worry that some of the older generation may have caused a knock on affect which will cause issues with the younger generations and weaken the UK overall. Has caused strain in my own family. My sister drafts governmental policies and knows all about the human rights laws and employment protection that the EU has helped with - we voted in, our parents (Daily mail readers) voted out - without thinking for a second it may affect their own children. 

In the long term, it will probably balance out - but at a cost. 

For those who expected the UK to step out of the EU, get all of the border concessions asked for and better trade agreements, than those in the EU??  EU cannot give better deals to the UK over existing members. They have already stated for trade agreements = all 4 principals of freedom of movement must exist. IE you want to trade, then keep your borders open as we state.

Whole thing has been poorly thought out, no exit plan, politicians running for cover when they have realised the complexity and mess which now has to be worked through. UK was a country which had the 5th largest economy UNDER THE EU, is now sliding downwards - credit rating dropped 2 points, cost more to borrow, more to import - prices rise.....

Also give the racists the belief they have won the right to abuse non white people or those with non English accents. Hate crimes up over half. Marvellous start.

I used to be proud to call the UK my real home. Can't say I feel that way at the moment. Too much anger & racism. Half the country disagreeing with the other half.....

Edited by graham1, 08 July 2016 - 09:58 AM.

• jimtaylor, Steve and Liz, Aficionado and 5 others like this

Freesat - Legal TV on the Costa Blanca

Television Technology-

www.televisiontechnology.eu

#15 Carole

Carole

red

• VIP Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

My State pension this month is 78 euros less than it was last month!

#16 Cats Slave

Cats Slave

red

• VIP Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Absolutely spot on Graham,set the U.K. back 40 yrs,exactly what Farage wanted,as you say all these people now run for cover.

• DHubbard likes this

#17 PeterS

PeterS

red

• VIP Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

Please dont blame it on the Brexit, I just had a look at the exchangerate of end oktober 2011.
It was 1,13 (euro/pound) this is on the internet advert of the house I bought in the urb.
So, was Farage to blame then? Or was it the Brexit talks? Or could it just have been something else?
On the other hand, selling your place will make you feel good, more pounds for your place in the sun!
Do not worry, the value of the pound will go up again.
  • Yorkie and seags like this

#18 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:07 AM

I don't agree. On voting day, the markets thought the result would be Bremain, and the pound  was €1.32; when the result came in, it dropped to €1.20.

The pound may go up in value, but I think we're in for a long period of uncertainty. In the meantime, us residents are worse off as we're receiving less in our pension payments and money transfers.

#19 PeterS

PeterS

red

• VIP Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

Wait and see, Europe is overrun with immigrants. The eurozone is paying for it, the unemployment rate after 4 years is about 60 percent for immigrants, work out the number of immigrants multiplied by the social benefits per year. Then terror, GB can close the border so the idiots in the name of IS don t come in easy. Work out the cost for extra police and securityservises, the Eurozone is paying for it becouse they will not start checking the borders and Schengen is holy.
This all will have its effect on the exchangerate.
It can take a few months but when it is calmed down it will be ok.
  • chunkeyman likes this

#20 Ste46

Ste46

red

• VIP Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Wait and see, Europe is overrun with immigrants. The eurozone is paying for it, the unemployment rate after 4 years is about 60 percent for immigrants, work out the number of immigrants multiplied by the social benefits per year. Then terror, GB can close the border so the idiots in the name of IS don t come in easy. Work out the cost for extra police and securityservises, the Eurozone is paying for it becouse they will not start checking the borders and Schengen is holy.
This all will have its effect on the exchangerate.
It can take a few months but when it is calmed down it will be ok.

But how many 'terrorists' come in legally?

At the moment, UK customs check lorries at Calais. Any caught are handed over to the French police. When Brexit is final and UK customs are kicked out of Calais - which they will be - lorries will have to be checked on British soil. What will happen to any illegals found? They will be in the UK; the ferry companies won't take them back - 'nowt to do with us'; if they did, the French will refuse them access - 'they got no papers, we don't want 'em!' WE will be stuck with them!

So instead of cutting immigration - which seems to be the sole aim of many Brexiters - it will continue at a greater rate than before.

Steve

• jimtaylor and weejohnten like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users