• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:31 AM

I apologise to all those who may have been trying to register as a member of this site and have not been allowed to.  I took off the new member registrations a while back as this site was being targeted by automatic spam bots registrations, and then spam posts started to appear.  Got fed up with it!  I tried taking off this restriction, but the spam bots came back, so it´s on again.

If anyone genuinely wants to become a member so that they can use the forums, email me through the link I´ve put in the "tips for new members" forum  and I´ll join you manually, (after checking you´re a real person and not an axe murderer :36_19_2[1]: )

Perhaps in the future I can remove the restriction, but for now it´s the only way in.  You only need to be a member if you actually want to post something - all visitors to this site can see the posts.  I´m not sure why so many want to join in truth as only about 1% actually join in the conversations lol

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#2 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:12 PM

I tried to lift the new registration restrictions yesterday, but straight away got two "new" members spamming the forums.  I have been trying to reduce this sites´ costs to a minimum so that I can keep this site going for you all without having to rely on advertisers to sponsor it, just in case I don´t get any in the future.  One of the cut backs I made was that I no longer pay for a yearly forum licence.  This means I can not update the forum script to newer versions anymore, get help from the support team, or use a spam service that helps diminish the automatic spam bot registrations.  Only way I can stop it is to not allow new registrations.  So I´m afraid it´s back to emailing me if any new member wants to join so I can add you manually.

I´ve also moved all my sites onto another, cheaper hosting service.  

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#3 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Even Facebook can't keep the b-----s out! I had a spam from a friends account a couple of days ago trying to sell me cheap Raybans. I guess you don't have a hope in hell except to approve every application.

Anyway thanks for your efforts and if you need some crowd-funding we're always willing.

#4 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Thanks. xx  I´ve paid upfront for two years hosting as it was cheaper that way, plus they pay for one of my three domain names whilst I´m hosted with them - so all good now for a long time.

I was thinking of offering a special price to the forum members for a years access to my spanishlanguagesite site.  I´ve formatted all the flash video lessons which previously people could only view on computers, so that members can now view them on their mobile devices, or download them to keep forever.  I need to update that site, but it´s a long job and I´ve got a lot on my plate at the moment. When it cools down and our daughter has left for Uni I´ll have more time - and motivation :)

www.spanishlanguagesite.com

• greytop likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users