• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonyp

tonyp

red

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

We have a bignonia climbing vine It has developed some kind of pest that is killing the flowers before they come out Tried insectide but no good Anyone any ideas..................Thanks Tony

#2 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Two questions - are you sure it's an insect and not a fungus, and what sort of insecticide did you use.?

An ordinary insecticide will only kill insects that come in contact with it, and if those insects are inside the buds, then you certainly aren't going to get them all, if any.

What I personally use, and strongly recommend, is the use of a systemic insecticide and fungicide. You don't need to worry about spraying every surface, as 'systemic' means it gets into the plant tissues and spreads throughout the plant. Anything that nibbles on the plant then gets killed off, even if you've not sprayed the bit it's nibbling on.

Unfortunately, systemic products aren't readily available locally, so you may have to search. Because Margaret was bringing a suitcase back on one of her trips last year, I got her to bring some Rose Clear Ultra, which isn't just for roses. It worked a treat on the grapevine last year, where I'd had problems previously. Unfortunately, mainly due to health problems, I didn't get the vine sprayed in time this year. I, and all the people I know locally who have grapevines, lost our full crop when a downpour one day brought down a nasty fungus. Last year I had a full crop, where friends lost all or most of theirs.

I'm not a gardening expert, and hope someone else will post a reply.

My philosophy is quite simple - if you can't eat it, why bother growing it?

• Don likes this

#3 tonyp

tonyp

red

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Jim I can easily get hold of a Sytemic insecticide Living in the Campo We have access to agricultural products not normally available to the general public We lost a couple of big palms and now spray them with a pretty powerful systemic I will give bignonia a spray and see how it goes....Tony

#4 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 950 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Our grape vine this year only produced about six bunches (near the ground) and, in the very early stages, the "grapes" turned to powder and disintegrated. 

Last year we had about 50 big bunches of good grapes.

Anybody got any idea what went wrong this season?

Geoff.

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

The downpour that affected us also affected everyone else that I know with a grapevine - it brought down a really nasty and fast acting fungus that acted as you say.

As regards only six bunches, did you prune the vine after leaf fall? The farmer who has the lemon grove next to us took a cutting off our vine some while ago, and it's now well past the stage where it should have produced grapes this year. However, he didn't prune it, and no grapes that we could see.

Once the leaves are fallen, and after cutting out some of the old and training in some of the new, cut every side shoot back to just after the second bud.

#6 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

Yes Jim, it was pruned by an (elderly) Spanish gardener who does it every year at the appropriate time.

He didn't seem to know what was wrong with it this year though!

Geoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users