6 replies to this topic

#1 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Jim's Ginger Beer

Excellent, and really refreshing - much better than bought ginger 'beer'. The traditional cloudy stuff.

15g fresh yeast, or a 7g sachet of dried yeast (wine yeast will produce more alcohol)

2 rounded tsp ground ginger

2 rounded tsp sugar

425 ml tepid water - bottled, not chlorinated tap water (tap water is probably OK, but too much chlorine can kill yeast)

Leave 24 hours.

Feed daily with 1 rounded tsp ginger and 1 rounded tsp sugar, and give it a bit of a stir.

On the seventh day, using a wire strainer and some muslin, cheese cloth or loose weave cotton, strain the ginger mix through the cloth into a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid as possible into the bowl. This is what flavours the drink and continues to ferment it in the bottles.

Dissolve 600g sugar in 1 litre of hot water.

Add 3 litres cold water and the juice of 2 lemons.

Bottle using plastic bottles and let them sit on the kitchen counter, with the tops loose, for a few days to continue fermenting and build up the alcohol level. Then tighten the tops and put the bottles in the fridge. The longer you leave them out, the more alcoholic it will become.

To keep the plant going, add 425 ml water to the remaining solids and repeat the process.

Discard half of the plant every 2 weeks - or give it to a friend who wants a go!

Notes:

If you want to use fresh yeast, you can buy it in little cubes from Mercadona.

None of the quantities, timings or techniques are cast in stone.

The plastic bottles I prefer are Mercadona's 1.5 litre tonic, although I'm keeping some 2 litre Fanta bottles in reserve. These are nice strong bottles, unlike those in which you buy still water.

Once it goes in the fridge, it will still continue fermenting - to be on the safe side, I let off the pressure each day or so.

We got rid of all our wine making equipment before we moved out here, and I didn't want to use a bucket, so this is what I did:

I split the infusion between three 1.5 L bottles.

I prepared the sugar syrup in a pan, then once cooled a bit, again split this between the three bottles.

I then topped up the bottles with tap water to about 5 cm from the tops of the bottles.

Upend a few times to mix, loosen the tops, and leave alone for a few days.

For my next trick:

We've got some ginger capsules from Healthspan, which we use to supplement fresh or powdered ginger in ginger cake and biscuits. You're supposed to swallow them, but that's a waste! On the current batch, I'm adding the extract from one of these capsules each day, along with the powdered ginger & sugar. Hopefully, it will give the next bottling an extra kick.

• Don and weejohnten like this

#2 Martin

Martin

red

• VIP Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

I thought you were coming out when I read the headline, Jim.
Sound delicious.

#3 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm currently on the last bottle of the first batch, and it's really dry. Even in the fridge, it's continued fermenting, and all the sugar's turned to alcohol (¡Qué horror!).

Out of interest, I bunged a hydrometer in it, and it seems it's the same strength as wine - and I've been drinking tall glasses of it. And I blamed the staggering on my joints and leg injury!

• greytop likes this

#4 james76

james76

red

• VIP Member
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

I remember my grandmother making a brilliant ginger wine at Xmas,it was non alcoholic,and she would give it out to family members who didn't take a tipple,Jim do you have a recipe for the ginger wine( non alcoholic)I would love to make some come the festive season,many thanks.
james76

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

This time I have to hold my hand up and plead ignorance.

One upon a time, I used to buy ginger essence from the Co-op and follow the instructions on the bottle, giving a bit of extra kick by bunging a couple of chillies in it.

Whether the Co-op still sell it, or Boots possibly, I don't know. Lakeland Plastics do one, which I use in cooking.

The idea of non-alcoholic is a good one. I've only just finished drinking the first batch, because when I realised how strong it is, I cut down my consumption. The next batch is already maturing and will be as strong as the first. The plant that's on the go at the moment I'm going to make up with very little sugar, and see what it tastes like. Then, and thanks for the idea, I'll have a play at doing a non-alcoholic version. I'll let you know if that is successful.

• james76 likes this

#6 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Non-alcoholic Jim???

You're gonna need counselling soon!

Geoff.

#7 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

Now, now, Geoff!

Partly common sense, and partly because I had an uncle who was an alcoholic, I limit my daily intake. The more ginger beer I drink, the less whisky I allow myself, and I do like my whisky. That's why the first batch of ginger beer has lasted so long.

• james76 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users