• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Noel D

Noel D

red

• VIP Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have just hired a car from Firefly car rental (Hertz)
Lots of issues,long delays at booking desk, smaller car, extra charges,bad attitude
DON'T USE THEM

#2 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Yes, a friend of ours rented from Firefly and was disappointed.

Then there were some members of our family who arrived at Alicante Airport and went to pick up a hire car from another well known company. The length of the queue meant that they would have had to wait a very long time to get their (pre-booked) car. The hire company had a solution, though. They charged them 45 Euros extra to be served on a priority basis!!

First they create the problem, then they charge YOU to put it right!! You couldn't make up a story like it, could you?

Geoff.

• GCfromVC likes this

#3 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Lots of horror stories going the rounds about car hire at the moment, including from immediate friends of ours.

I'm sure it would be helpful if others would post who to avoid or to go for - perhaps a consensus might emerge.

From what I can gather, Extra-Car, Centauro, and Record are good, Dickmanns are bad.

#4 jude

jude

red

• VIP Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

We have used Centauro several times and they would be my first choice. We are with Record at the moment, just hope that when we return the car next week there will be no problems. So far so good.
The problem is that whenever booking through a broker we don't always get the choice and to book directly with Centauro is much more expensive.
FireFly also have bad reviews on the the Review Centre and TrustPilot.

Car hire is very cheap at the moment, we have just paid £110 for 5 weeks with Record.

Edited by jude, 04 May 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#5 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

An article in today´s Mail on Sunday might help somebody

• jimtaylor and Tortilla like this

#6 Peter P

Peter P

red

• VIP Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

I've recently been using a guy called Les (I think the company name is "Wheels in Spain"). You can pick up from airport or he can deliver to where you are staying. You do not have to pay for a full tank of petrol, you give it back with the same amount that you receive. Also, very importantly, you get fully comprehensive insurance at no extra cost. The only things not covered are tyres and keys, so if you have an accident, or if someone damages the car, you have nothing to pay. He also includes extra drivers at no extra cost. Although I've always found his prices competitive, you might find something with a cheaper "headline" price, but by the time you add on all the extras they are normally far more expensive, than Les.

His phone number is 635 732 012.

#7 DHubbard

DHubbard

red

• VIP Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

We've always rented with SolMar and have never had a problem, once we understood that there was a fuel charge on top of the rental.  They've always been the cheapest too when I've bothered to look around.

#8 Aficionado

Aficionado

red

• VIP Member
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hello Jim,

Have to say that my experience with Dickmans to date has been good.

I have for several years now used Hire Cars in Spain, making an informed selection based on comprehensive info provided. Dickmans have usually - but not always - provided the best overall deal.

I prefer the off airport service having previously experienced lengthy queues at the airport with Goldcar, Record et al.

No such issues at Dickmans - the length of the queue is quantified by the capacity of the minibus! Never more that 20 mins.

Michael.

#9 jude

jude

red

• VIP Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

It is possible to purchase insurance for hire cars which cover for tyres, glass etc. about £37 annually. Company is called insurance for car hire.

#10 Tortilla

Tortilla

red

• VIP Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Anybody used DoYouSpain? We've per booked with them, so not sure if they're competitive or any good yet. Any thoughts on that guys?

#11 Yorkie

Yorkie

red

• VIP Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Anybody used DoYouSpain? We've per booked with them, so not sure if they're competitive or any good yet. Any thoughts on that guys?

Used them a few times.  They are just a middleman.  You must remember you will still get the "extras" added on top when you collect your car.

HOWEVER I fully recommend that you DO NOT pay up front with doyouspain.  I did this one year then had to cancel.  The refund never materialized even after many emails.  

• Tortilla likes this

#12 Tortilla

Tortilla

red

• VIP Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Used them a few times.  They are just a middleman.  You must remember you will still get the "extras" added on top when you collect your car.
HOWEVER I fully recommend that you DO NOT pay up front with doyouspain.  I did this one year then had to cancel.  The refund never materialized even after many emails.

Thanks for the "heads up" much appreciated x

#13 rfh40

rfh40

red

• VIP Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Have used Aqua Car for over ten years now and apart from once having no record of booking on arrival ( which to be fair was quickly dealt with) they have been very good. Had a few punctures over the years and never charged me for them and they allow you to pick the car up and return it full of fuel so no rip off petrol charges.

#14 BansteadBob

BansteadBob

green

• green
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

We just had a car from Firefly at Alicante and although there was a queue and the person dealing with me was new, making it quite a time before we got the car, after that everything was all right and it was really cheap - £59 for 8 days, + 17 Euro for the petrol.  The latter is a rip off, but they are all doing it - see the Mail article above.  Annual insurance to cover everything that the hire companies don't is £9.99 a year from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

#15 geoffllo

geoffllo

red

• VIP Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

Are you sure that www.insurance4carhire.com is £9.99 per year?

My policy was £39.99.

Geoff.

#16 Yorkie

Yorkie

red

• VIP Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

We just had a car from Firefly at Alicante and although there was a queue and the person dealing with me was new, making it quite a time before we got the car, after that everything was all right and it was really cheap - £59 for 8 days, + 17 Euro for the petrol.  The latter is a rip off, but they are all doing it - see the Mail article above.  Annual insurance to cover everything that the hire companies don't is £9.99 a year from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

Are you sure it was 17 Euros for the fuel??  Did you hire a lawnmower?

• geoffllo likes this

#17 gustan

gustan

red

• VIP Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

Fire fly charged me 80 euro fuel for a fiat 500
Whole experience total rip off
Never again !!!

#18 Tortilla

Tortilla

red

• VIP Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

An article in today´s Mail on Sunday might help somebody

This was very helpful. Thank you for posting the link.

#19 York

York

red

• VIP Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Try these two neither charge for fuel you just return it full as i understand. I have had a few friends that have used both companies and all was ok.

http://www.coysrent-...om/en/index.php

http://easyoption.com/

on their website it states

Tired of hidden extras and fuel charges? Be sure that if you rent your next vehicle through EasyOption, you will save yourself money but without cutting back on the service or quality. It is also your peace of mind that Easyoption is part of the EasyCover Insurance group, one of the biggest Expatriate Insurance brokers in Spain.

• NO FUEL CHARGE
  • NO AIRPORT QUEUES
  • NO ADDITIONAL DRIVER CHARGE
  • NO AIRPORT OR HOME COLLECTION CHARGE
  • NO EXTRA INSURANCE CHARGE
  • HIRE CAR MADE EASY

#20 Aficionado

Aficionado

red

• VIP Member
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Try these two neither charge for fuel you just return it full as i understand.

In the case of Coys, not quite, they will charge you for 20 euros of fuel in the tank and you bring it back empty. Still better than a lot of the opposition, however their base pricing is higher than most.

With Easyoption you bring it back as you got it, be that 1/4 full or whatever - so no excess refuelling "logistics" charge.

I have just submitted a booking request to Easyoption for October - it will be interesting to see if they can help me, the last two times I have tried they had no cars available! Clearly a popular company. While I am waiting, I am going to check out a few others to see if, when all is considered, Easy is in fact the better Option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users