• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

has anyone travelled from alicante to port of bilbao-portmouth?  how many hours does it take driving comfortably and will there be any fuel stations open during the night,  thank you.

#2 greytop

greytop

red

• VIP Member
  • 464 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Have you tried Google Maps. Click on "get directions" add the start/finish and it will give you a suggested route, highlighted on the map.

For example:

Driving directions to Del Puerto Marques Kalea, Bilbao, Bizkaia, Spain

This route has tolls.

1. A-23 and AP-68

2. 807 km, 7 hours 14 mins
    In current traffic: 7 hours 14 mins
    A-31 and A-1

3. 776 km, 7 hours 48 mins
    No traffic information
    AP-68

You can specify "no tolls" and several other options.

Buena suerte

• hippiesonthehill likes this

#3 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

we've checked those routes but just wondered if anyone had done it and was successful in following the instructions   thanks for replying 

#4 Don

Don

red

• Validating
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I did this route 4years ago and followed the motorway to Madrid then branched right round the airport onto Bilbao sorry with out getting the maps out I can't remember the numbers of the motorways , dropped Jan and daughter off at the airport at 06 30 and arrived in Bilbao at around 1500. That is Alicante airport.

#5 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

So do you reckon on 10 hrs travelling then?  thanks for reply  

#6 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

We usually do this journey at least once each year. There are several routes all of which are on good quality dual carriageways or motorways. We last did this run in December 2012; returning in February this year. My favourite route is via Valencia and Zaragoza which (without undue speeding!) takes about 8.5 hours although driving back on a Saturday we did it in 7.5 hours but only stopped for conveniences and fuel. The full details are: N332/Alicante Airport/A70 towards Valencia/A77/Alcoy (new road recently opened) A7/A35/A7 towards Valencia then E15/A7/V30 to Sagunt (services here) then A23 to Zaragoza. This is a long stretch but there are services at Monreal de Campo. At Zaragoza take the Z40/A68 and join the AP68. This is a toll road and the fee for the full section is â¬31 but its over 200kms to Bilbao. There are services at Sobradiel. At Bilbao there's a new toll road which avoids the city centre completely and takes you to the E70 and N 644 for the ferry port. Toll is less than â¬1! PM me if you'd like alternative routes or any more information.

#7 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain the route to me,  that seems like the best so far,  our ferry leaves at 10.15am and book in 90 mins before because of our pets so if we estimated 10 hrs. then hopefully we'll arrive on time,  Thanks again,  :)

#8 Saladar

Saladar

red

• VIP Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi

we've done this journey a couple of times in both diretions but always stop for a night some where to break up the trip. It seems a shame to travel so far across this beautiful country and not enjoy a short time in some of it's cities.

We use www.viamichelin.com to get the route and have stopped in Burgos, Zaragoza and Teruel so far to break the journey. The Alicante - Zaragoza - Bilbao route is very nice but there is some splendid scenery if you go more direct and skirt Madrid.

Whichever way you go there are always plenty of places to stop and refuel.

#9 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for your input, we are travelling with our 3 pets so we will probably go straight through,  iv'e looked at the map you suggested,   now  the fireworks begin!   

#10 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

If you really fancy a challenge and you take the Madrid route rather than skirt round the outskirts-you can drive right through the centre! The main route goes in tunnels under the city and as long as you keep looking for the next destination it's easy-peasy. I agree with the overnight stay as we tend to do that depending on ferry time.

#11 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time in replying.      :v4tunitedkingdom:

#12 hippiesonthehill

hippiesonthehill

red

• VIP Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

please is anyone willing to adopt my goldfish Terry?  he is about 8"-9" long and I have had him for about 7years,  he comes with his 96 litre tank complete with filter, air pump etc; also a 30litre tank to transport him if you would like to have him, we are going to uk and would find it almost impossible to transport him with us,  thank you.

#13 rhodes169

rhodes169

red

• VIP Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Terry can live with us. See my PM with contact details

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users