• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Just had a very pleasent Spanish man call saying he´s from Iberdrola - its a scam!

http://www.coastride...h-scam-warnings

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#2 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Just to advise anybody without a quality anti virus programme, I just followed the link to Coastrider, and my AVG Internet Security detected a virus and blocked it. Sorry, I didn't make a note of the virus, just got out of there mucho quicko. :3_8_14:

Brian
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice

#3 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

oh, didn´t show on my mac. In this case, I´m sure they wouldn´t mind if I just copied and pasted the info.

Scamwatch - Neighbourhood Watch scam warnings Posted Image Posted Image Written by Mireille Toddington Monday, 16 July 2012 12:59
Summer is here and with the increased visitor numbers arrive the seasonal scams. There are bogus company representatives claiming to be from Iberdrola knocking on doors and asking for cash. These fraudsters have an official looking Iberdrola ID card, through it has probably been stolen and forged.
The men ask to see your bill and then they offer to change your meter readings from bi-monthly to monthly or vice versa. They inform the unsuspecting victim that in order to do this you have to pay in full any outstanding amount. They ask for cash and say that you will get a receipt. They are very pleasant and convincing but do not fall for their patter because they are bogus.
Iberdrola never cold call and neither will they ask for money. If you have any specific problems with your electricity supply then Iberdrola will make an appointment or only call on you if you have already asked them to visit you. They will always have your contract details in advance and never collect money at a customer premises.
Meanwhile, there is a sombre warning for those visiting airports or other busy locations such as supermarkets, open air Markets or busy beaches. A couple recently arrived at Alicante airport and were robbed in the lift. When the couple got into the lift, so did two other people, both female. One was already in the lift, with her suitcase blocking the door. The other lady followed them in. By the time the visitors had reached the level they needed to get off to collect their car, the man's shoulder bag had been unzipped and everything removed and zipped up again. This was done professionally and the man knew nothing of the attack until he went to get his money out ready to pay for the toll that the theft was noticed.
Fortunately the visitor in question speaks enough Spanish to complete an official report at the airport and the police station but had to spend the first three days of his holiday sorting out temporary passports and reporting the loss of bank cards and driving licences.
Visitors and residents alike are advised to keep all documents and money as secure as possible. Wear bags at the front of your body or under your arm not on your back. Use front pockets not rear ones. Stand with your back to the wall in confined spaces so no-one can approach you from behind unseen.

Posted Image

:action-smiley-069: Don´t forget to use the like button if you like someone´s post :tha1:

#4 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Jan, I understand Mac's are not susceptible to virus attacks the same as PC's, but I hope you didn't mind my warning. It may save somebody a whole lot of bother.

Brian

#5 jimtaylor

jimtaylor

red

• VIP Member
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Brian,
Out of interest, I tried the link in a (sandboxed for safety) browser in my PC running AVG 2012.
Also in a virtual Windows 7 PC running Avast.
Also in a virtual Windows 8 PC without any protection at all.

Neither AVG or Avast reported a problem, and Windows 8 didn't pick up any nasties.

Probably just a temporary attack which Coastrider fixed (?).

#6 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Jim.Strange one.

Brian

#7 weejohnten

weejohnten

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Jim.Strange one.

Brian

Dont you get personal with Jan lol :D
Cheers John

#8 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

:D :D No offence meant. :D :D

Brian

#9 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

To explain to others - our surname is Strange - so we´re the strange family :lol:
  • weejohnten likes this

#10 tonyp

tonyp

red

• VIP Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I wonder sometimes if Antivirus applications are too cautious I have Panda and it often flags up Marks and Spencer's official site as being unsafe and a phishing scam Still order from them without much bother

#11 dorsetlad

dorsetlad

Gold Cup Member

• VIP Member
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I am happier if they are too cautious, rather than too lax. That could be disasterous.

Brian

#12 DaveR

DaveR

red

• VIP Member
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

oh, didn´t show on my mac. In this case, I´m sure they wouldn´t mind if I just copied and pasted the info.

Scamwatch - Neighbourhood Watch scam warnings Posted Image Posted Image Written by Mireille Toddington Monday, 16 July 2012 12:59
Summer is here and with the increased visitor numbers arrive the seasonal scams. There are bogus company representatives claiming to be from Iberdrola knocking on doors and asking for cash. These fraudsters have an official looking Iberdrola ID card, through it has probably been stolen and forged.
The men ask to see your bill and then they offer to change your meter readings from bi-monthly to monthly or vice versa. They inform the unsuspecting victim that in order to do this you have to pay in full any outstanding amount. They ask for cash and say that you will get a receipt. They are very pleasant and convincing but do not fall for their patter because they are bogus.
Iberdrola never cold call and neither will they ask for money. If you have any specific problems with your electricity supply then Iberdrola will make an appointment or only call on you if you have already asked them to visit you. They will always have your contract details in advance and never collect money at a customer premises.
Meanwhile, there is a sombre warning for those visiting airports or other busy locations such as supermarkets, open air Markets or busy beaches. A couple recently arrived at Alicante airport and were robbed in the lift. When the couple got into the lift, so did two other people, both female. One was already in the lift, with her suitcase blocking the door. The other lady followed them in. By the time the visitors had reached the level they needed to get off to collect their car, the man's shoulder bag had been unzipped and everything removed and zipped up again. This was done professionally and the man knew nothing of the attack until he went to get his money out ready to pay for the toll that the theft was noticed.
Fortunately the visitor in question speaks enough Spanish to complete an official report at the airport and the police station but had to spend the first three days of his holiday sorting out temporary passports and reporting the loss of bank cards and driving licences.
Visitors and residents alike are advised to keep all documents and money as secure as possible. Wear bags at the front of your body or under your arm not on your back. Use front pockets not rear ones. Stand with your back to the wall in confined spaces so no-one can approach you from behind unseen.

Posted Image

My security came up with the same warning Jan.

#13 creator

creator

red

• VIP Member
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Brian,
Out of interest, I tried the link in a (sandboxed for safety) browser in my PC running AVG 2012.
Also in a virtual Windows 7 PC running Avast.
Also in a virtual Windows 8 PC without any protection at all.

Neither AVG or Avast reported a problem, and Windows 8 didn't pick up any nasties.

Probably just a temporary attack which Coastrider fixed (?).

You probably know Jim that AVG 2013 is now available as a free download.

Why do I always get two copies when I quote? Is it me doing something wrong?

#14 Landlady

Landlady

Administrator

• admin
  • 7,412 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Don´t know, but its easy enough to take out the second quote by editing the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users